Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otanx

Quote from: Dieselboy on November 21, 2019, 03:03:17 AM
Some thoughts I had: Two ways to perform changes during business hours and without change control:

1. To upgrade the code of a network device but don't initiate a reboot. Wait for power cut or crash or some other issue to initiate a reboot. Device loads new code next time  :mrgreen:

2. Apply config change but don't commit to "copy run start" until a later date. That way, if anyone complains you can say "that damned device, I'll reboot it". Proceed to reboot your device which will fix the issue and management will pat you on the back  :mrgreen:

At one place I worked we had ASIs or "Authorized Service Interruptions" aka maintenance window. To get one approved you had to get approval from about 5 people including the manager of the group that would be impacted. One of those groups refused to approve any ASI. They were a 9 - 5 office, but would refuse any after hours work because they couldn't be down in the morning when they came in if something went wrong. Asking for someone to stay late so we could test was also a no go. We had ASI or Alex Service Interruptions(Bosses name was Alex). We would reload the box, and record it as an unknown power hit to their building. Our boss knew what was up, and was OK looking the other way as well as his boss. The group that was impacted never complained, or even commented on how often they had power issues in their building. They also never made the connection that those "power issues" always happened on nights that we had an ASI for every other building.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on November 25, 2019, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: Dieselboy on November 21, 2019, 03:03:17 AM
Some thoughts I had: Two ways to perform changes during business hours and without change control:

1. To upgrade the code of a network device but don't initiate a reboot. Wait for power cut or crash or some other issue to initiate a reboot. Device loads new code next time  :mrgreen:

2. Apply config change but don't commit to "copy run start" until a later date. That way, if anyone complains you can say "that damned device, I'll reboot it". Proceed to reboot your device which will fix the issue and management will pat you on the back  :mrgreen:

At one place I worked we had ASIs or "Authorized Service Interruptions" aka maintenance window. To get one approved you had to get approval from about 5 people including the manager of the group that would be impacted. One of those groups refused to approve any ASI. They were a 9 - 5 office, but would refuse any after hours work because they couldn't be down in the morning when they came in if something went wrong. Asking for someone to stay late so we could test was also a no go. We had ASI or Alex Service Interruptions(Bosses name was Alex). We would reload the box, and record it as an unknown power hit to their building. Our boss knew what was up, and was OK looking the other way as well as his boss. The group that was impacted never complained, or even commented on how often they had power issues in their building. They also never made the connection that those "power issues" always happened on nights that we had an ASI for every other building.

-Otanx

Immediate vulnerability patches also have a nice "code red" feel about them, you can get lots of stuff upgraded and rebooted during a security emergency.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

Anti-frustration post...

One of our developers was told his application was not working right. The application is basically a relay. Data comes in the front end, it gets some processing done, and the data is forwarded to another system. The report was that data of a specific type was not being delivered on the back side. Typical developer he "knew" it wasn't his application, but unlike a typical developer he wanted to prove it wasn't. He asked me if there was a way to prove if the missing type of data was being delivered to his system. I mentioned tcpdump, and he went away. That was yesterday afternoon. I just got a email that he used tcpdump, and confirmed the data was getting to his box, and is now looking at why his application is dropping the traffic.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on December 19, 2019, 04:07:13 PM
Anti-frustration post...

One of our developers was told his application was not working right. The application is basically a relay. Data comes in the front end, it gets some processing done, and the data is forwarded to another system. The report was that data of a specific type was not being delivered on the back side. Typical developer he "knew" it wasn't his application, but unlike a typical developer he wanted to prove it wasn't. He asked me if there was a way to prove if the missing type of data was being delivered to his system. I mentioned tcpdump, and he went away. That was yesterday afternoon. I just got a email that he used tcpdump, and confirmed the data was getting to his box, and is now looking at why his application is dropping the traffic.

-Otanx

Wow.

:applause:

For you AND that developer!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Nerm

Meraki....

:notthefirewall:

...unless the firewall is Meraki

Otanx

I will have no bosses come Feb 1. We are in contract transition. We got told yesterday that all three levels of leadership above me will not be transitioning to the new contract. There is a lot of other stuff going on as well, but nothing I would share on an open forum. The next two weeks are going to be fun.

-Otanx

deanwebb

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on January 16, 2020, 10:28:58 AM
I will have no bosses come Feb 1. We are in contract transition. We got told yesterday that all three levels of leadership above me will not be transitioning to the new contract. There is a lot of other stuff going on as well, but nothing I would share on an open forum. The next two weeks are going to be fun.

-Otanx

:explosion2:

config t

There is a lot of other stuff going on as well, but nothing I would share on an open forum.

Sounds about right during a transition. At least you get the right to first refusal.

Good luck brudder. Hopefully the new company is respectable. I would be interested to know which company you were working with and who the new one is. It's a small world.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

config t

Quote from: Nerm on January 16, 2020, 09:31:38 AM
Meraki....

We have Fortinet at our boundaries and I have to say I like it. Easy to admin, troubleshoot and understand.

Otanx

-Otanx

Everything is canceled. I don't know what happened, but Friday at 6PM we got told the government canceled the new contract, and extended our current contract for one more year. It is crazy now. People had offers from the new company +20K/yr, people blew PTO instead of taking the payout so now they have none. One person turned down a job offer at another company because the new company offered her one of the leadership slots that was opening. Now that isn't happening. It is a wild ride. My boss said he will be staying on for a while, but still plans to move to his other opportunity. Just now he does not have to do it on the first.

Personally I am fine with it, but it is going to be wild. Government contacting at its finest.

-Otanx

deanwebb

When you know you have uncertainty, the wrenching emotion is balanced by an ability to scramble and get a more sure future lined up.

config t

"Do you know anything about printers?"

config t

Quote from: Otanx on January 27, 2020, 09:22:40 AM

Everything is canceled. I don't know what happened, but Friday at 6PM we got told the government canceled the new contract, and extended our current contract for one more year. It is crazy now. People had offers from the new company +20K/yr, people blew PTO instead of taking the payout so now they have none. One person turned down a job offer at another company because the new company offered her one of the leadership slots that was opening. Now that isn't happening. It is a wild ride. My boss said he will be staying on for a while, but still plans to move to his other opportunity. Just now he does not have to do it on the first.

Personally I am fine with it, but it is going to be wild. Government contacting at its finest.

-Otanx

Maybe the win was contested.

I quit my job last year to take a gig at Ft. Huachuca and they lost the contract one week to the day after I arrived. They moved me to another team and lost that contract four months later. Then they offered me a job in Virgina. Now I'm in Bahrain and thankfully on a stable contract. Transition periods are definitely eventful.

icecream-guy

Quote from: config t on January 30, 2020, 03:48:43 AM

Maybe the win was contested.

I quit my job last year to take a gig at Ft. Huachuca and they lost the contract one week to the day after I arrived. They moved me to another team and lost that contract four months later. Then they offered me a job in Virgina. Now I'm in Bahrain and thankfully on a stable contract. Transition periods are definitely eventful.

you telling me,  last contract turnover the new win thought they could do the job of 5 with 2.. they only put out 2 offers,  now in our second year, we are up to 7.

My PM said that the group that bids contracts are not bean counters, their job is to win the contract, and it's up to finance to figure out how to make a profit.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.