Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otanx

If you use DHCP then I am OK. I won't even notice you didn't create a reservation. My problem are the guys that are setting static IPs on their servers that fall in the DHCP pool range. DHCP will try to identify if the IP is in use, but it can't always do that. All of a sudden I have duplicate IP problems when I am deploying a new box. I found out after writing my rant that one guy uses DHCP to get the initial address then sets whatever he gets as a static because "the DHCP server might fail"

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on May 28, 2020, 04:25:37 PM
If you use DHCP then I am OK. I won't even notice you didn't create a reservation. My problem are the guys that are setting static IPs on their servers that fall in the DHCP pool range. DHCP will try to identify if the IP is in use, but it can't always do that. All of a sudden I have duplicate IP problems when I am deploying a new box. I found out after writing my rant that one guy uses DHCP to get the initial address then sets whatever he gets as a static because "the DHCP server might fail"

-Otanx

Exactly. We have to give ourselves an IP address in case the DHCP server fails.

I also run iptables and BGP on every one of my servers, just in case the router fails. :problem?:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on May 29, 2020, 08:39:49 AM
I also run iptables and BGP on every one of my servers, just in case the router fails. :problem?:

You joke, but we are looking at doing this. There isn't a good way to dual home systems at layer2. Most of the solutions are active/passive, or require custom vendor magic to do multi-chasis LAGs. Route to the host, create and advertise a loopback, and bind all your services to it. I can now get redundancy, load balance, etc. We might do OSPF instead of BGP, but I feel BGP is better for this. However, we would need licensing, and our guys are more familiar with OSPF.

-Otanx

deanwebb

I can say that a number of vendors focus on their core product without looking at basic operational considerations like NIC teaming.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

Oh, lets kick off another rant. If you are building enterprise hardware appliances dual power supplies are a must. Especially on the lower end models where customers may not be able to afford buying two appliances.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Heh. That's why they're "lower end models." All kinds of limitations on those bad boys.

config t

I miss the old dual power supply Brocade ICX.. sounded like a jet engine.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

wintermute000

1st gen Nexus 5K FTW I nearly had a heart attack the first time I turned one on.

---

Why on earth are all official MS learn Azure tutorials either GUI, powershell or Az CLI?
BUT BUT BUT in real devops land, you deploy via code via pipeline always, GUI/CLI drivers get a smack on the head (or are customers' former wintel engineers rebranded as cloud engineers)
Why not educate people the IaC way up front? I get it, play around with clicky clicky/typy typy first but if you're training people officially why not get them trained on the 'correct' way up front as well? Instead you can pass expert level certs being a total ARM / terraform scrub which is just incomprehensible IMOThe crying shame is that in every other aspect MS Learn is amazing, and the tutorials are amazing BUT they're teaching you the 'wrong' way to deploy - at least teach the automated way AFTER the clicky walkthrough

deanwebb

Today, I get to hold a hand and write a step-by-step runbook on how to upgrade.

:caine:

Otanx

Quote from: wintermute000 on June 02, 2020, 07:02:36 AM
1st gen Nexus 5K FTW I nearly had a heart attack the first time I turned one on.

---

Why on earth are all official MS learn Azure tutorials either GUI, powershell or Az CLI?
BUT BUT BUT in real devops land, you deploy via code via pipeline always, GUI/CLI drivers get a smack on the head (or are customers' former wintel engineers rebranded as cloud engineers)
Why not educate people the IaC way up front? I get it, play around with clicky clicky/typy typy first but if you're training people officially why not get them trained on the 'correct' way up front as well? Instead you can pass expert level certs being a total ARM / terraform scrub which is just incomprehensible IMOThe crying shame is that in every other aspect MS Learn is amazing, and the tutorials are amazing BUT they're teaching you the 'wrong' way to deploy - at least teach the automated way AFTER the clicky walkthrough

The problem with that is what automated ways do you want them to teach? Raw python using requests to make the API calls? Ansible with the official modules? Something else? There are a ton of them. Maybe some simple stand alone courses that cover the different popular ones so students can take the one that applies to them.

Non-technical rant today. Traffic sucked this morning. Nevada opened more on June first so the commuters are back. I was getting used to the empty roads. I have been looking at getting a Tesla for awhile, and had convinced myself I didn't need to spend that much money on a new car. After this morning I am ready to hit the button just for all the autopilot features.

-Otanx

deanwebb

I know more than a few Tesla drivers, they're not ever going back.

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on June 03, 2020, 02:16:02 PM
I know more than a few Tesla drivers, they're not ever going back.

Yep, my brother owns a Model 3 that I get to "not drive" on the weekends. I love it. He finally got the update that tracks stop lights, and stop signs. While I don't think real self driving is anywhere near ready this is an awesome start. I just have a hard time justifying a car payment higher than my mortgage. Even if I buy used to get what I want is over 64K. Plus we have a reservation on the Cyber Truck so maybe if I just wait... or maybe not.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Just buy a DeLorean and a bunch of batteries. How hard could it be?

:haha4:

wintermute000

Quote from: Otanx on June 03, 2020, 10:36:55 AM
Quote from: wintermute000 on June 02, 2020, 07:02:36 AM

---

The problem with that is what automated ways do you want them to teach? Raw python using requests to make the API calls? Ansible with the official modules? Something else? There are a ton of them. Maybe some simple stand alone courses that cover the different popular ones so students can take the one that applies to them.

Simple, ARM template deployments via Azure Devops with Github triggers.
Or Terraform.
Nobody serious uses Ansible for cloud, its got no state, its imperative, and soforth. And nobody is going to seriously suggest having to go naked python unless/until you have a very advanced use-case.For infra the 'mainstream' way is coalescing already:

• Azure - ARM or terraform
  • AWS - Cloudformation or terraform
  • VMware - v<product> or terraform (not sure how mature it is but its starting get a ton of mentions and apparently under the hood a lot of vRa 7.x is rebadged terraform)
  • Network boxes - ansible
  • Linux boxes - ansible / chef / puppet / salt
  • Windows boxes - yech
TLDR learn ansible and one of terraform/CF or terraform/ARM depending on whether you want to go team orange or team win
Unless you go down dlot's path you are never going to be more than scrub tier python hacker so unless you change your career focus to pure automation/programming just do python basics for now. Any 'real' dev will run all over you - that's been our experience here, its just not worth trying to convert a net-eng to a part time python dev (I stress the part time bit - ppl like dlots have gone full time, different story).Basically just learn enough so that you can actually write a class, then after that focus on tooling, that's all the python you'll effectively need for now.
And oh learn bash/powershell.And azure CLI / AWS CLI.My head hurts

Otanx

That shows my lack of experience with cloud. If Terraform has taken over for cloud automation then 100% teach GUI/CLI to get basics then move the training to Terraform. Teach how you would do it in production.

My goal with python is like you said. Be good enough I can get stuff working, and not embarrass myself too bad when others look at the code. Most of the stuff I have written are just middle ware stuff to get two different products to work together that don't already have something. So quick module to say get data from Netbox, and then a module to feed that data into Nessus Security Center, and kick off a scan. I have no plans to be good enough to consider myself a developer.

Quote from: deanwebb on June 03, 2020, 04:39:49 PM
Just buy a DeLorean and a bunch of batteries. How hard could it be?

There is a guy here in town with an electric DeLorean and an electric Mustang. Both were self conversions. He shows them off at the local car shows.

-Otanx