Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Hey, 

Q.  Why did John Delorean's cars sell so well?

A.  There was a 1/2 oz of coke in the glove.

hahahahaha......Old joke.....
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

config t

We have a network team disto list that I encourage end customer to use whenever they communicate instead of unicasting one of the network team directly. This allows everyone including HQ leadership to have SA on whatever is going on. It's especially useful since we work in different locations.

Last week they had an idea to create a separate distro list for the O&M team's internal shift change reporting. Great idea and I encourage that kind of behavior. Except it has the word Network and Admin in it, same as our "everyone" distro. So of course end customer gets confused and uses it, and now there is mass $&*%ing confusion any time there is a network issue.

I encouraged them to change the name but not include the word Network. So they added an extra acronym but kept everything else. I give up.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Wait, so do I contact the Network Administration Staff list, or the Staff Network Administration list?

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on June 09, 2020, 03:13:27 PM
Wait, so do I contact the Network Administration Staff list, or the Staff Network Administration list?

That depends. Do you need an administrator for the staff network, or do you need to talk to the network administration staff?

-Otanx

config t

Quote from: Otanx on June 09, 2020, 03:42:01 PM

That depends. Do you need an administrator for the staff network, or do you need to talk to the network administration staff?

-Otanx

:morty:

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on June 09, 2020, 03:42:01 PM

-Otanx

No, I need to address the network of staff administrators.

:curly:

deanwebb

Guys that say everything is broken when two clients that aren't part of the domain are having problems accessing a server that requires domain membership in order to reach... but we only get the "everything is broken" part and have to deal with a major incident which, as a vendor, is always done in the shadow of an approaching bus.

:rage:

deanwebb

8am Monday morning meeting getting moved to 9am...

... meeting change went out Sunday night...

... LATE Sunday night...

... and I have another meeting already set up with another customer at that time...

Customer wanted to do all the scheduling and seems to have no clue how I actually work with *other* customers...

:oracle:

Otanx

Visibility into ASA IPSec sucks. I just want to know what my crypto engine utilization is at. We have started pushing more traffic over our tunnels, and I just want to know how much head room I have before the ASA is my bottle neck. Lets see... "show crypto accelerator statistics" hmmm, nope. A bunch of packet counts, but nothing I can link to utilization. Oh, "show crypto accelerator load-balance detail ipsec" Ah, percentages. This looks promising. Hmm, nope, never mind. This just shows the percentage of current traffic being processed by each engine. Nothing about maximum capacity. Lets google this... Oh, here is a command. oh, never mind. Firepower only.

I guess I will just use the IPSec throughput numbers on the data sheet as my max. Hope those are at least close to real life.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on June 30, 2020, 09:54:10 AM
Visibility into ASA IPSec sucks. I just want to know what my crypto engine utilization is at. We have started pushing more traffic over our tunnels, and I just want to know how much head room I have before the ASA is my bottle neck. Lets see... "show crypto accelerator statistics" hmmm, nope. A bunch of packet counts, but nothing I can link to utilization. Oh, "show crypto accelerator load-balance detail ipsec" Ah, percentages. This looks promising. Hmm, nope, never mind. This just shows the percentage of current traffic being processed by each engine. Nothing about maximum capacity. Lets google this... Oh, here is a command. oh, never mind. Firepower only.

I guess I will just use the IPSec throughput numbers on the data sheet as my max. Hope those are at least close to real life.

-Otanx

You don't want a bottleneck because it leads to the dreaded calls of, "It's slow! Fix the slow!"

Otanx

For this application I don't dread the "it's slow calls". The system that uses this part of the network timestamps everything when it is generated on the far side, and then again when it is processed in our DC. So compare the two timestamps. If there is a large delta then something is slow. Maybe not the network, but something. Also, and I know this is crazy, but we monitor those timestamps, and alert if they start getting larger deltas so we can fix it before it becomes a problem.

Now users on VPNs are another story. It's slow. My music had to buffer for 2 seconds yesterday. I got disconnected 4 times this morning. Those I hate.

-Otanx

config t

I'm not familiar with ASA. Does it show up when you do the ol' "show proc cpu | include"

Quote from: deanwebb on June 20, 2020, 09:18:19 AM
Guys that say everything is broken when two clients that aren't part of the domain are having problems accessing a server that requires domain membership in order to reach... but we only get the "everything is broken" part and have to deal with a major incident which, as a vendor, is always done in the shadow of an approaching bus.

:rage:

"The internet is down" - I hate it most when it comes from a lazy network person.

Otanx

Nope, I have show cpu commands, but they don't include the crypto hardware modules. I will be reaching out to TAC to see if there is something maybe undocumented. I also realized last night that I have some smaller ASA5515s I may be able to setup a test, and overload the crypto to see what happens. They are only rated for 250Mb/s so I can see what happens as I get close to that. Maybe figure out some canaries I can use if I can't graph the utilization directly.

-Otanx