Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on July 15, 2020, 01:13:50 PM
I'm dealing with a guy who can't count past 2.

But he's also in charge of scoping out how many appliances we need to set up for the solution, and we need more than 2, of more than 2 varieties of boxes, in more than 2 locations.

:rage:

:morty:
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Yep, exactly what's going on. It may soon look like this:

:shock2:

The concept of all professional services/consultants as Ricks and all customers as Mortys is an interesting thought to ponder... as is the concept of the Rickest Ricks, Mortiest Ricks, Rickest Mortys, and Mortiest Morties...

I consider myself to be a fairly strong Rickish Rick, and this customer is one of the Mortiest of Mortys out there...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

Morty isn't a customer. He is the new guy that left enterprise to become a PS/consultant. Rick is his mentor. Morty only knows the one network from his old job he had for 15 years. Now he is being faced with all those other networks...

Specifically that photo is them at a customer site, and the Rick sees the look in the customers eyes. He shoves Morty in front of him to take the next question. A question about if their product supports IPX because they have a legacy Novell network that is mission critical be included. Rick avoids the pain, and Morty learns about the real world.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on July 16, 2020, 04:47:29 PM
Morty isn't a customer. He is the new guy that left enterprise to become a PS/consultant. Rick is his mentor. Morty only knows the one network from his old job he had for 15 years. Now he is being faced with all those other networks...

Specifically that photo is them at a customer site, and the Rick sees the look in the customers eyes. He shoves Morty in front of him to take the next question. A question about if their product supports IPX because they have a legacy Novell network that is mission critical be included. Rick avoids the pain, and Morty learns about the real world.

-Otanx

This actually happen to/near you?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

Oh, thank god no. I just have my old Novell CNE certification wallet card sitting on my desk so that is where I went. I have seen horrible stuff... but not that.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on July 16, 2020, 07:33:48 PM
Oh, thank god no. I just have my old Novell CNE certification wallet card sitting on my desk so that is where I went. I have seen horrible stuff... but not that.

-Otanx

I almost went for my CNE... then NT 4.0 released...Went MCSE instead.

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on July 16, 2020, 08:03:05 PM
Quote from: Otanx on July 16, 2020, 07:33:48 PM

-Otanx

I almost went for my CNE... then NT 4.0 released...Went MCSE instead.

The only reason I got my CNE instead of my MCSE was the local community college had the MCSE classes during the weekdays and CNA/CNE classes at night. I worked so CNE it was. did 3.12 then upgraded to 4/Intranetware, then 5. Never did 6.

Best part was I passed my CNA test, and talked to job placement at the school. Couldn't figure out why they kept referring me to medical/nursing jobs.

-Otanx

deanwebb

icecream-guy

man, back in the day if you could configure IP to run over IPX on a novell network, you were the cats pajamas.. really cool.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on July 17, 2020, 07:40:21 PM
man, back in the day if you could configure IP to run over IPX on a novell network, you were the cats pajamas.. really cool.

... that's when home LANs were all NetBEUI because it was simple and there was no Internet.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on July 17, 2020, 09:49:59 PM
Quote from: ristau5741 on July 17, 2020, 07:40:21 PM

... that's when home LANs were all NetBEUI because it was simple and there was no Internet.

ahh the days of running NetBEUI over thin net and using BNC connectors connecting your devices.  and tracking down a bad 50 ohm terminator
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on July 16, 2020, 12:48:43 PM
The concept of all professional services/consultants as Ricks and all customers as Mortys is an interesting thought to ponder... as is the concept of the Rickest Ricks, Mortiest Ricks, Rickest Mortys, and Mortiest Morties...

I consider myself to be a fairly strong Rickish Rick, and this customer is one of the Mortiest of Mortys out there...

Aww geez. I've had brief a brief stint doing PS/consulting and I've roamed the world dabbling in various networks. Does that mean I'm a Rickish Morty? Or a Mortyish Rick? It's a little rickdiculous to think I haven't reached at least some level of Rickdom by now.

deanwebb

I think I'd rather be a Rickish Morty than a Mortyish Rick...

wintermute000

Wasting my life on a DCNM product session and the entire first 2 hours is SAN shit. Just show me the VXLAN stuff kthxbye

config t

"The new IOS's and switch IOS make Layer 2 automatic and there is nothing to worry about"

Sure but what about your root bridge, spanning-tree version, VTP and..

"No the new IOS's make it transparent.."

Ok well let me know WHEN you have problems..

"My networks won't connect.."