Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Summer can be a slow time in Vendorland... so my *biggest* frustration right now happens when I get off work and have to deal with all the damn Voidwoken monsters in Divinity Original Sin 2. :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

I could never get into the Divinities (only tried 1) or Pillars of Eternity. Which is strange, as I've played through all the old school iso RPGs - Baldurs Gates/Neverwinter Nights/Icewind Dales, the Dragon Ages, Pathfinder Kingmaker, the old school Fallouts, Wasteland 2 etc.

config t

Quote from: wintermute000 on August 10, 2020, 08:53:13 PM
I could never get into the Divinities (only tried 1) or Pillars of Eternity. Which is strange, as I've played through all the old school iso RPGs - Baldurs Gates/Neverwinter Nights/Icewind Dales, the Dragon Ages, Pathfinder Kingmaker, the old school Fallouts, Wasteland 2 etc.

I got like halfway through Pillars. Love me some old school rpg's too. I've always been a huge Total War fan also and playing the crap out of Warhammer 2.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

wintermute000

I have played TW to death (spent the longest actually in the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 - LOTR in total war engine, heaven), from Shogun 1 onwards. Rome, Medieval, M2, Empire, Rome 2.... Gave Warhammer a spin on the weekend, couldn't get into it, I know objectively its a great game but subjectively it simply felt like I'd played it before... man I'm getting old lol

deanwebb

Just finished my first Divinity 2 run, had a great time. Now I've loaded up on the mods to have a trigger-happy OP run for the lulz. :problem?:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

video game rant in the frustrations thread.   can we split it out?  into another thread?
C:-)

That and UPS's that don't have enough power to drive the device power supply fans,
went through 3 RMA's before I realized that if I power them directly into outlet, power supply is not bad.
Unfortunately to due to cord length limitations both power supplies are plugged in same UPS circuit.
better than power supply being "down" i guess, at least the SNMP monitors are off my back.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

icecream-guy

Cisco FX-OS Bugs.  :o
vASA Firewall fails to load with checksum error after FX-OS upgrade.

deanwebb

New version of Juniper OS that the customer upgraded to before checking compatibility with $VENDOR...

wintermute000

vendor bugs to the left, vendor bugs to the right. In the middle of 2 projects with multiple implementation breaking bugs. Totally different technologies and vendors as well (both very large, very well known and not at all 'niche' or startupy).

One of them has necessitated multiple re-designs (and reduced functionality) to work around.

The other is waiting for hail mary vendor software upgrade, release on target next week (assurances from regional exec level), if that goes to hell then yep we're re-designing (and again forced to accept reduced functionality, egg on face and loss of money as we re-implement to design...)

My last 2-3 weeks have been a procession of failed changes, TAC calls, vendor escalation calls, emergency re-design followed by emergency political deathmatch where I scream 'alternative design' and they scream 'temp workaround' and are forced to explain to non-technical cast of dozens (thanks large Enterprise projects and the baggage train of moochers they always attract), followed by desperate field testing of workarounds leading to repeat change attempts. Then we go back and amend the design docs (repeatedly). All of which is being done staring at the same 4 walls of my home study thanks to COVID isolation (beats getting infected I suppose).

deanwebb

Worst part about the baggage train is when you hit "reply all" and put in a technical response and then one of the non-technical people throws a fit and responds with a "why am *I* getting *THESE* emails???" rants, with even more directors and managers and execs CC'd on it.

:rage:

Otanx

Then you make an email chain just for the tech guys. An email from the tech group gets forwarded to management, and they complain they are not being kept in the loop because there are project emails that are not getting forwarded to them.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on August 17, 2020, 08:46:31 AM
Then you make an email chain just for the tech guys. An email from the tech group gets forwarded to management, and they complain they are not being kept in the loop because there are project emails that are not getting forwarded to them.

-Otanx

^ THIS

:facepalm1:

icecream-guy

latest,  self diagnosed with mouse finger, that or arthritis in my right pointer finger knuckle joint, got a weird painful lump on the side of my finger, frustration is trying to learn left handed mousing, and not using right index finger for nothing, not even typing.
have realized how important index fingers are, from pointing, writing, typing, opening car doors,  cans of beer,....

deanwebb

Owowowowowowowowowowowowowowow

I can get some major stiffness/pain in my right hand that I compensate for with a hand/wrist brace and upper arm sleeves and generally taking things easy when it flares up. I live in dread of losing function in my hand.

Otanx

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I hope it gets better. I am with Dean. I fear loss of my hands, and eyes. I had some wrist pain years ago, and moved to a ergo keyboard for most of my work, and have not had any more problems.

-Otanx