Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

How about the hardware that shipped a year ago, that you're just now deploying... you have to get an old version of the app with an old version of Java to connect to it so that you can upgrade the software on the device... and then, once you upgrade, you have to switch to the new app with a new version of Java...

But the worst part? You have to do this with five other boxes, so you have to keep a PC with one version of the client and Java and another PC with the other version(s)!

:rage:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

This is why I made a windows 7 virtual machine that I can keep copying and spinning up. Windows is not even activated, don't care. I'll delete it once I'm done with completely ruining it with the different java versions.

Whats more, Chrome has dropped java support. I hope that this move is either a reflection that people are dropping java, or a push to get people to drop java. I've had Java ruin my days a number of times since 2007 when I started doing networking to earn money. Would be nice to on-charge those lost hours to Java or the company using java to make their management applications :)

SimonV

So apparently Juniper is now no longer shipping rack mounts as standard on the EX2300 switches, what a rip-off  :rolleyes:

deanwebb

@SimonV: Ouch. Cheapskates.

I just stopped and restarted a service to demonstrate that stopping and restarting this service won't solve this particular problem.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

you got alot of work to do,
but can't really do it all yourself
You need others action so you can move your task forward.
other have their own priorities. and you sit on the back burner.
waiting until they find the time.

Troubleshooting a N5K issue and need to do packet captures.
First it's only fiber ports, so that out.
then I find and 1G RJ45 SFP,
next my laptops are old and don't do 1G connection, so that's out
the server connects at 10G, so capturing packets looking for dropped packets on a 100Mb interface, there will be dropped packets for sure
Next I had to wait for the cable guys to run cable
next I'm waiting for port assignments on the gigamon..for like 6 days now...
:drama:
/VENT
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

icecream-guy

Quote from: ristau5741 on September 06, 2016, 10:47:31 AM
you got alot of work to do,
but can't really do it all yourself
You need others action so you can move your task forward.
other have their own priorities. and you sit on the back burner.
waiting until they find the time.

Troubleshooting a N5K issue and need to do packet captures.
First it's only fiber ports, so that out.
then I find and 1G RJ45 SFP,
next my laptops are old and don't do 1G connection, so that's out
the server connects at 10G, so capturing packets looking for dropped packets on a 100Mb interface, there will be dropped packets for sure
Next I had to wait for the cable guys to run cable
next I'm waiting for port assignments on the gigamon..for like 6 days now...
:drama:
/VENT

/unvent
then the server they planned to send the data to, is out of ports,
so they send it to another server.
and I don't have an account on that server.
so Now I will fill out paper work for a new account,
submit, and wait for approval
and then the linux server admin creates an account for me so I can login.
/vent

deanwebb

Massive re-org in the works... announced today that all associates will know their new reporting structure by the end of the year.

:ckfacepalm:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy...

LynK

@ristau5741

What issues are you seeing?
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

burnyd

SofaKing

Quote from: deanwebb on September 07, 2016, 11:24:03 AM
Massive re-org in the works... announced today that all associates will know their new reporting structure by the end of the year.

Just had a meeting about our re-org yesterday.  We had a new VP come in about 6 months ago.  Luckily he sat back and watched before making any changes.  I am actually liking the changes being made.  A couple I question but the one that affects me I am happy about.
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

jericho

Underfloor heating, specifically the one I've just found in the area this months employer have earmarked as their new comms room.

icecream-guy

Today's frustration: Email threads that fracture and go 5 different ways, all with the same subject subject and different recipients regarding things that I need to keep track of.

deanwebb

I'm dealing with Shark Week on my IM... one guy found me about 15 minutes ago, then 3 managers, 2 project managers, and 4 co-workers sensed the blood in the water and hit me up on IM, one after the other BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM!

:frustration:

wintermute000

PSA: Palo Alto enforces eBGP split horizon when talking to multiple peers from the same ASN.

i.e. Switch (AS1) --> Palo (AS2) --> Switch (AS1) - Palo does not send the route on until you change one of the switches to a different AS.

Guess what happens when you run VRFs on any switch, any vendor. (hint: one BGP process....)

Support says log a feature request....

No, this is not RFC behaviour, there should not be any split horizon in eBGP YOU FIREWALL MUPPETS IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO A PROTOCOL FSCKING DO IT PROPERLY
:flipdesk:

deanwebb

Cisco does one better and simply has the ASA not participate in dynamic routing very much, if at all.

:challenge-denied:

And now I have a new frustration... the upgrade window we had scheduled has now been indefinitely postponed...