Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Working in a data center that is scheduled to close by the end of 2017. No improvements, no big network changes, no desire by anyone, lots of "Don't give a S" attitude, since the data center will be closing. no action, skills deteriorating, desire waning.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on March 25, 2017, 07:33:36 AM
Working in a data center that is scheduled to close by the end of 2017. No improvements, no big network changes, no desire by anyone, lots of "Don't give a S" attitude, since the data center will be closing. no action, skills deteriorating, desire waning.
I had a friend once that was promoted to CIO when his firm went into bankruptcy. He had a bigger salary, true, but his job was to count all the computers and gear in the firm and keep an eye on it until it sold at auction. So, he brought a lot of reading material with him each day. There were zero other people in the entire office.

He was so glad to finally get out of there and back into a firm that was alive.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on March 25, 2017, 09:32:54 AM
Quote from: ristau5741 on March 25, 2017, 07:33:36 AM
I had a friend once that was promoted to CIO when his firm went into bankruptcy. He had a bigger salary, true, but his job was to count all the computers and gear in the firm and keep an eye on it until it sold at auction. So, he brought a lot of reading material with him each day. There were zero other people in the entire office.

He was so glad to finally get out of there and back into a firm that was alive.

I've been working on learning python, so far, not frustrating at all. Pretty easy in fact, well so far.  using free Think Python book I found online.

Otanx

More SNMP rants. Configuring SNMPv3 users. I need to define both the auth and priv passwords. This is all done by script so longer is better. Look at documentation and IOS allows 128 characters for both. Perfect. Write up the script, and run it. Script SSHs to the box, and runs the command. However, the user is not working. After much troubleshooting I find out that IOS has a command line length limit of 255 characters. It does not throw an error it just only accepts 255 characters of what you typed. So in my case the priv pass gets cut short.

-Otanx

Netwörkheäd

Oh man, that sucks. When something is broken, we want an errmsg!

Over here, my Internet is out due to construction, so it's me and 3G for a while.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Let's not argue. Let's network!

dlots

If you are interested I used codecadmey (although it uses 2.7 instead of 3.#) to get started.

If you ever want code to look at I'll be happy to give you some of mine (just having a program that SSHed to a device would have saved me weeks)

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Quote from: deanwebb on April 06, 2017, 04:17:57 PM
Visio.

:rage:

Also, doing an access audit on a system that does not map nicely to the levels of access defined in the audit.

:no:

deanwebb

Quote from: deanwebb on April 06, 2017, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on April 06, 2017, 04:17:57 PM
Visio.

:rage:

Also, doing an access audit on a system that does not map nicely to the levels of access defined in the audit.

:no:

Also, that system doesn't have any groups. Only 4 pre-defined roles that have to be assigned to individual users, all 197 of them (and counting).

:printer:

icecream-guy

I don't know if it's frustrating or not, nor in which way.

Customer want us to SWAG a hardware proposal to build out a network at co-location, they estimate 10 racks. that's it. no bandwidth requirements,
no services, oh, wait some video services, no amount of servers, no connectivity requirements, no power allowances, no idea of type or speed of hand off. 

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on April 11, 2017, 07:47:21 AM
I don't know if it's frustrating or not, nor in which way.

Customer want us to SWAG a hardware proposal to build out a network at co-location, they estimate 10 racks. that's it. no bandwidth requirements,
no services, oh, wait some video services, no amount of servers, no connectivity requirements, no power allowances, no idea of type or speed of hand off. 

Provide a quote for 10 empty racks. Oh wait, 10 racks with a camera.

icecream-guy

got my work computer refresh,  win 10 laptop  :rage:  no admin rights.

deanwebb

ME: Sounds like I'll need to get the firewalls sending all their logging to Splunk.

BOSS: Good luck. Nobody knows anything about our Splunk server except the guy that set it up.

ME: Well, I actually read up on it a while ago, so I can get started on it.

BOSS: AWESOME! YOU ARE NOW THE SPLUNK GUY FOR THE AMERICAS REGION!

ME: :rage:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on April 14, 2017, 12:20:18 PM
ME: Sounds like I'll need to get the firewalls sending all their logging to Splunk.

BOSS: Good luck. Nobody knows anything about our Splunk server except the guy that set it up.

ME: Well, I actually read up on it a while ago, so I can get started on it.

BOSS: AWESOME! YOU ARE NOW THE SPLUNK GUY FOR THE AMERICAS REGION!

ME: :rage:

took us like 8 months to fill a splunk position.

deanwebb

I actually look forward to using Splunk, but not with my current workload. Then again, isn't loading up massively how one gets promoted/bonused/otherwise rewarded?

Since they cut all the conference attendance out of the budget, I'm thinking *this* is how they want me to get introduced to new technologies...
:steamtroll: