Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlan

Quote from: deanwebb on April 14, 2017, 12:20:18 PM
ME: Sounds like I'll need to get the firewalls sending all their logging to Splunk.

Sounds like you will also need to increase your Splunk licensing. ;)

deanwebb

Quote from: mlan on April 18, 2017, 04:49:53 PM
ME: Sounds like I'll need to get the firewalls sending all their logging to Splunk.

After talking with the Splunk guys, i'll also have to help actually build out the servers and collectors.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on April 19, 2017, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: mlan on April 18, 2017, 04:49:53 PM

After talking with the Splunk guys, i'll also have to help actually build out the servers and collectors.

don't skimp on the hardware, splunk is a very cpu/memory intensive application.  junk hardware will end up in slow searches and underwhelming performance
take the specs from the website and then bump those up a few notches.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Noted on that recommendation. It pretty much applies for any vendor's VM recommendations, as well.

Right now, the current frustration du jour is getting yelled at for dropping a task I was working 2 months ago, even though the same guy yelled at me to drop that task to get to work on other stuff.

Gotta have a thick skin in this biz, I tell ya...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on April 19, 2017, 02:36:19 PM
Noted on that recommendation. It pretty much applies for any vendor's VM recommendations, as well.

Right now, the current frustration du jour is getting yelled at for dropping a task I was working 2 months ago, even though the same guy yelled at me to drop that task to get to work on other stuff.

I got an email system for that, using categories in outlook, categorize things I need to work on via email responses, either hot (red), medium (yellow) or low(green) placed in a sub-solder, and rotate through on a first come first serve basis, so when all my hot stuff gets to a point where I can no longer work on stuff, e.g.  waiting on others for something, I start on the medium stuff, then move to the low, I refill the queues first thing, and then again at lunch, after lunch I'll start working on the hot stuff again. don't hit the low queue too often, but then that's the point, it's low priority anyway.

wintermute000

I miss Google desktop. When that was around, I didn't file anything, and literally googled my own pc (emails/office docs/text).

deanwebb

Today at 8AM when I logged on to the VPN:

WINDOWS UPDATE WARNING! WE GONNA REBOOT YOU LIKE A MILLION TIMES! YOU BEST BE READY, FOOL!

So I click on the "update now" button and resign myself to a morning full of reboots.

Five hours later, it's still on "Downloading (0% Complete)"

:ivan:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on May 01, 2017, 01:14:32 PM
Today at 8AM when I logged on to the VPN:

WINDOWS UPDATE WARNING! WE GONNA REBOOT YOU LIKE A MILLION TIMES! YOU BEST BE READY, FOOL!

So I click on the "update now" button and resign myself to a morning full of reboots.

Five hours later, it's still on "Downloading (0% Complete)"

:ivan:

I've seen that a few times, sits at 0% for hours on end, then eventually installs,  I've stopped them after a few hours only to have the downloads restart. so it probably is downloading, just not reflecting the actual percentage number

deanwebb

It actually started running at 5PM.

And then failed at 5:21 PM.

SimonV

Windows Update itself sucks. In enterprise you can't get around it but on other PCs you're much better off using a third-party updater...

deanwebb

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Just got two BRAND NEW devices set up in the datacenter. Consoled in to them to put an IP address on them. They can't ping out, I can't ping in to them...

Datacenter guy says it's likely a bad interface.

On one, I could believe. But on two different devices? Brand new? How about maybe the cabling guys got the wrong port connected.

Further developments as we receive them...

:facepalm1:

deanwebb

... this just in!

They had the cables plugged into the MGMT interface, not the E1 interface as I specified.

:facepalm4:

Ctrl Z

Quote from: ristau5741 on April 20, 2017, 08:34:13 AM
got an email system for that, using categories in outlook, categorize things I need to work on via email responses, either hot (red), medium (yellow) or low(green) placed in a sub-solder, and rotate through on a first come first serve basis, so when all my hot stuff gets to a point where I can no longer work on stuff, e.g.  waiting on others for something, I start on the medium stuff, then move to the low, I refill the queues first thing, and then again at lunch, after lunch I'll start working on the hot stuff again. don't hit the low queue too often, but then that's the point, it's low priority anyway.

Beautiful. I'm going to start doing this!

Nerm

deanwebb