Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

Quote from: deanwebb on May 17, 2017, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: Nerm on May 17, 2017, 10:50:02 AM
CHINA!!!

What did they do now?

Not the country so much as the infrastructure we have there.

weasleman

huawei!!! need i say more ??

Otanx

Frustrated with myself, linux, and one of our customers all at once.

The host command on linux does not check the host file. Host is a DNS command not a name resolution command. Found this out after deploying a script I wrote to 4 customers. The 5th customer's DNS is not reliable, and is missing entries. We gave up fighting to get it fixed a long time ago, and just use local host files for our stuff. Script was failing, and after much troubleshooting I figured out it was the host command in my script that was causing the issue. Talked to the customer, and got a bunch of push back on adding five A records. Rewrote my script to call getent instead, and redeployed it to the other four customers as well.

So frustrated at linux for a command called host that does not look at a host file. Frustrated with the customer for failed DNS. Frustrated with myself for not using getent to begin with (I didn't know the getent command existed).

-Otanx

deanwebb

Frustrated with how, if we had made all the changes to the switches manually, we'd be done by now and they'd all be working fine with NAC.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo we had to use Priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime...

:butno:

( ^ New GIF because we needed this one... )

Months later, we're still dealing with "Well, that switch isn't in Prime..." "We didn't change that template..." "There were some errors in the last push..." and so on and so on and so on...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

security 'architects' who still think its 2007 and you want firewalls everywhere. Esp as the default gateway on a DC fabric, obviously that's where you would put ALL TEH FIREWALLs. And Esp if you are also deploying micro-seg, why more firewalls never got in the way of anyone, just keep buying more firewalls.

bonus points if they can't route or switch their way out of a paper bag, but consider themselves fit to solution your DC fabric design for you.

That a multi-billion org can be held hostage by pinheads who would get absolutely demolished in any real engineering workshop out of their sheltered little enterprise enclave where they call all the shots and vendors are too scared to call them out on their BS.... mind boggling

SimonV

Hey wintermute, having some firewall issues?  :mrgreen:

on topic: Just had a 45 minute internet outage on our central breakout. Manual failover on the PA, only the fail part was successful  :whistling:

wintermute000

not so much firewall issues but rather security pricks (who can't even subnet) trying to dictate DC fabric architecture by planting their flag in the ground everywhere. Its pure politics and its disgusting

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on May 30, 2017, 07:26:37 AM
not so much firewall issues but rather security pricks (who can't even subnet) trying to dictate DC fabric architecture by planting their flag in the ground everywhere. Its pure politics and its disgusting

Just to be clear, this is a case of:

:oracle:

And not a case of:

:notthefirewall:

I agree, if there is a DC firewall, it's there with an IPS to secure north-south traffic. East-west security is handled with products that ride in the VM space, stuff like that. Stuff that secures the chassis from VMs or containers trying to break out or break in. Segmentation is for sensitive devices. Access control should NOT be handled via the firewall, I  can guarantee you that!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

ME: I have a non-technical problem.

BOSS: You should call HR. Here is the number.

HR: I can't help with that problem. Let me give you the phone number to call for someone who could help with that issue. gives me the same phone number my boss gave me

:disappoint:

icecream-guy

service is down,
alarms are ringing,
name resolves in DNS
can't ping,
not sure where the service lives,
not sure who owns the service,
not sure who to contact about the service,
they guy who did know this just left the team,
left not very detailed instructions on the service,
just sent out a bunch of emails to team leads,
with no responses.
oh,
I can ping it,
but alarms are still going off.
seems to be limping along, somehow somewhere.
UGH!

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on June 01, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
service is down,
alarms are ringing,
name resolves in DNS
can't ping,
with no responses.
oh,
I can ping it,
UGH!

:itcrowd:

:problem?:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 01, 2017, 01:12:35 PM
Quote from: ristau5741 on June 01, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
service is down,
alarms are ringing,
name resolves in DNS
can't ping,
with no responses.
oh,
I can ping it,
UGH!

:itcrowd:

:problem?:

don't know where it lives in the DC.

I could have used the IP to find the MAC address,
manually traced the MAC down to a switch port,
gotten the cable number off the cable,
logged into the cable database,
where 50% of the cables are not documented. 
I didn't bother.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Just reboot everything then.

Even the Internet.

deanwebb

THREE YEARS AGO...

Me: We want A and B.
Project manager: Well, we can only get B for now. A will come later.

TWO YEARS AGO:

Me: Boy, can't wait to got A.
Project manager: B is good for now, but, yes, getting A is going to be sweet.

ONE YEAR AGO:

Me: Are we ready to roll out A?
Project manager: There are some budget issues, probably not this year, but next year we can likely roll out A.

TODAY...

Me: Looks like we're ready to roll out A.
Project manager: A? I thought we were cool with just having B. Now I have to rewrite the project charter...

:disappoint:

Nerm