Current frustration...

Started by deanwebb, September 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

I hate laptop crashes. This is why I copy my data to several locations, I can't rely on just one backup.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

I'm switching between three or four PCs all the time, so I've moved most of my stuff to OneDrive Business, not keeping anything important on the computers locally anymore.

I kept off for a long time (for security) but it does make life a lot easier in the end. it also keeps KeePass and Superputty in sync across machines.

deanwebb

Project started Monday... today is Wednesday... client asked for ALL project documentation by CoB today.

:haha1:

HLD, LLD, AH, Runbook... all by CoB today.

:haha2:

OK, how about just copies of stuff you've given to other customers?

:haha4:

Dude, we have to totally clean out all the NDA stuff, that's gonna take a while and a few reviews to make sure we got it all.

:challenge-denied:

How about I talk with my people and get back with you all on when we think we can have that stuff ready...  :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

cover page, with project name
title page with "this page intentionally left blank" written on it,
closing page, with credits.  (preferrably someone whom you don't want to keep their job)

done it for ya.!! :P
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

SimonV

QuoteH.323 Keep Alive packets sent (sent every two minutes) from the localhost to the remote host are being intercepted by the Security Gateway and are not being forwarded to the remote host.

Instead of forwarding these H.323 Keep Alive packets, the Security Gateway is incorrectly responding to the local host, as if it were the remote host

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solutionid=sk113749

On the flip side, I did learn a lot about our nGenious One, neat product!

deanwebb

So... the security gateway is making the remote host seem like it's still up?

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

:yeahright:

SimonV

Client sends keepalives. Firewall responds to clients' keepalives but somehow forgets to forward them to the remote VCS gateway and that one closes the session after one hour.

Worst thing is that all these silly Check Point bugs always require some sort of update or hotfix, which is not a simple task in 24/7 datacenters.

icecream-guy

Quote from: SimonV on April 26, 2018, 01:30:01 AM
Client sends keepalives. Firewall responds to clients' keepalives but somehow forgets to forward them to the remote VCS gateway and that one closes the session after one hour.

Worst thing is that all these silly Check Point bugs always require some sort of update or hotfix, which is not a simple task in 24/7 datacenters.

Had something like that at the airline where I worked,  setup a VOIP environment,  and every morning during the morning meeting between the two sites, the concall would drop, call lasted an hour, and after some variable time the call would drop after 30 minutes, never before. but not always.

After much troubleshooting we determined that the remote site put the call on mute and if no one from remote office spoke, the VOIP system would  think the line was dead after 30 minutes and the system would close the connection.  The variability came into play where if someone spoke after 10 minutes, then put the phone back on mute, 30 minutes after that call would drop, and if they spoke a few times, without a 30 minute lapse being on mute, that call would not drop. <insert head scratch emoticon here>

Otanx

We just installed a line for a new fax machine. Not my job anymore, but still just drives me crazy when I walk past it. Oh, and the requirement is an internal one. This isn't a regulations say, or customer requires. Nope, a group here decided that a fax machine was a solution, and implemented it "just in case email is broken" except that email is already the backup to the web form they use to receive requests. Not my problem, but it makes me irrationally angry.

-Otanx

icecream-guy

Quote from: Otanx on January 31, 2019, 10:15:52 AM
We just installed a line for a new fax machine. Not my job anymore, but still just drives me crazy when I walk past it. Oh, and the requirement is an internal one. This isn't a regulations say, or customer requires. Nope, a group here decided that a fax machine was a solution, and implemented it "just in case email is broken" except that email is already the backup to the web form they use to receive requests. Not my problem, but it makes me irrationally angry.

-Otanx

Give 'em a few months of fax spam, and they'll be ripping it out

deanwebb

PC LOAD LETTER!?!?!?! WHAT THE [expletive deleted] DOES PC LOAD LETTER MEAN???

:printer:

SimonV

Working on a merger for some factories in France. Someone decided it was a good idea to assign prefixes based on the area code, conflict gallore.

:facepalm1:

deanwebb

I've got a customer that has about 30K endpoints, all on a flat 10.0.0.0/8 network. Because that's how they have their Meraki set up.

:facepalm4:

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on March 22, 2019, 07:11:40 AM
I've got a customer that has about 30K endpoints, all on a flat 10.0.0.0/8 network. Because that's how they have their Meraki set up.

That means there are two of these out there. We have a customer that does this, and they don't have Meraki so it can't be the same one. Just to add to the insanity they expanded their network to remote sites. Those remote sites overlap IP space of course. So they do a weird double nat thing with proxy-arp and "reserve" the remote site space in their /8 then the firewall NATs it to itself somehow to make routing work.

It is ugly and I am glad I only am responsible for the external POP there.

-Otanx

Nerm