I/O Error when transferring image to switch via Xmodem

Started by Hobi, October 02, 2022, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobi

Hi All,

I'm trying to send a new image to my switch in ROMMON mode via xmodem, I will attach the result. I start the transfer on the switch and it gets to 100% after 5 hours and at 100% seems to fail with I/O error. It's painful having to wait 5 hours everytime for it to fail and unfortunately I don't appear to be able to change my transfer rate as anything past 9600 with my cable seems to not work. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this? I'm unable to use the switch until I can get this image on it. .. hoping it will work at that point.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Hobi

It's not possible from what I've read. The switch is in Switch mode / Rommon mode. The only method I've found online is xmodem.

deanwebb

Is it possible to get it out of ROMMON mode with an old image, or is it totally lacking in images?

Found an article https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/no-ios-xmodem-transfer-fails-solved/td-p/2168461

At the end, it said to disable Windows power saving features - the serial port was powering down.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Hobi

Unfortunately there no images currently on it. Thanks for providing that article, I have amended my USB settings in Windows and have started another transfer. Will update when it finishes in 5 hours.

Hobi

Unfortunately this made no difference and the transfer failed again at 100%

Dieselboy

In the only instance of having to do this, I scoured the software downloads section of the device in question and located the SMALLEST image size that I could load onto the device to get an active image to run. And then from there, log in the usual way (eg telnet) and load the image that I actually want to load. Dean refers to this when he says "old image".

Perhaps, there is not enough flash: space for the image which you are trying to load.

How big is the image which you are trying to load? Is it around 20 to 25mb ?

deanwebb

Hobi

I've managed to solve this today, user error. When using Tera Term and clicking file there is an option to "send file" which then starts the transfer and fails at 100%. Turns out theres another option in the same menu called "Transfer" and from there you can select xmodem and then send which has worked the 2 times I have tested it so far.

Thanks for your help both.

Dieselboy

Great! :) Thanks for posting back because this was new to me. Glad you got going  :mrgreen:

deanwebb

Wow. "Send File" fails but "Transfer" does the job... talk about counter-intuitive... thanks for sharing, Hobi, I've learned from you in the process!

heath

I know this is old and resolved, so not likely to help now, but the 2960S should have a USB port and you can use a USB flash drive to transfer the file.  There are some limitations on USB size and format, and not all drives are supported.  (I had some Cisco branded drives that always worked.  No idea where they came from, I found them in a drawer when I started that job.)  But I've "recovered" a 2960S with no image on it using a USB flash drive quite a few times.

Hobi

Hi Heath,

Some 2960 models have USB ports, unfortunately mine wasn't one of them so I was stuck with the painful xmodem attempts.

Hobi