Mesh system question if its possible in my setup

Started by oflorin, October 06, 2022, 11:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oflorin

I am searching for a way to have a mesh system in my house. Not really a networking guy, but to sum up my setup is something like this : got a provider router linked to my switch (which are in the same space , in the wall) and from the switch one of the cables runs to my own router (as the provider router is inside the wall and wifi signal from it is really weak) . As the house has 3 floors , i want to upgrade my router with something from ASUS and the mesh system from them. The cables from the switch have ports on many rooms , including my office where my personla router is . My idea is to upgrade the router from my office and add some mesh sats which are connected to the same switch. Whould it be possible ? (for my router to handle the sats even if they are not connected to eachother , but to the same switch) ?

I'll attach a quick small pic also (dont laught, too much ....:))) )

Thank you

deanwebb

My experience with mesh units is that they don't have to be hanging off the switch: I just plug them in and have them with overlapping areas of service and I get good throughput from that setup.

More important is to know the age of the house and the size of each floor. If the house is very old, there may be metal mesh in the bathroom and kitchen walls that blocks signal. If the floors are large, you may need multiple units per floor.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

oflorin

I see. My original thought was that having them connected to the cable running from the switch will improve the speed that it outputs wirelessly. The house is relative new , 2017 built (no metal mesh in the walls 100% , but its a brick contruction with steel bars i asume) with the office on the second floor (where i want to hold my personal router which handles the mesh) with 3 floors in total 80 m square/floor.  If its not possible to have them work wired , but just overlapp them in terms of range , that should not be an issue . Thank you for the advice

deanwebb

Overlapping coverage looks like the way to go, and each one should saturate coverage for your floor. Have good security so that you don't also become your neighbor's wireless provider! :D
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.