Networking MBP and Snnology

Started by carfac, October 19, 2022, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carfac

OK, I am a REAL networking dumby!

I have an M1 MBP connected to a Caldigit Hub (with 2.5 g networking.) This connects into my wall Cat6 with a 20 foot run to my switch. Switch is a TrendNet 6 Port 10G switch. MY 2 Synologys have a 10G net card, one each into the 10G ports on switch. The MBP comes in on a 2.5 gig port. I have 1 gig fiber in also.

So all good.

I run open speed test between MBP and SYnology. DOWN IS 972 MBPS AND UP IS 2315 MBPS

So I can tell the 2.5 gig connect works at least up.... but why not down too????

And when I run a network speed test I get:

Okola:564Mbps down 664 up
Speedcheck 326 Down 116 Mbps up

Im thinking about uping my fiber to 2.5 gig but not if the throughput stays low.

Any suggestions on how to get some of those speeds up, or what I am doing wrong? Or am I expecting too much? I see the synology up speed and I think I should be getting that everywhere.... or at least up to 950Mbps in Internet or so...

deanwebb

Up is typically slower than down on ISP consumer links. A business grade line could get you 1Gbps both ways, but may not be available in your area. I'm still waiting on gig fiber to the home in this area. Where I used to live, I had a full gig both ways.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

How are you running the speed test to be able to show 2.5gbps? I expect your system which you are testing with has 2.5gbps or greater network access connection and then each link in-path to the internet has at least 2.5gbps connection?