ChatGPT Being Used to Create Malware Scripts

Started by deanwebb, January 12, 2023, 08:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

https://research.checkpoint.com/2023/opwnai-cybercriminals-starting-to-use-chatgpt/

:doh:

Next step: "Alexa, email me valid credit card numbers with corresponding PPI so that I can engage in identity fraud."
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

My boss mentioned this to me over lunch on Wednesday. My boss' background is coding. Whereas I have always struggled but having worked in the Linux/RedHat world for 8 or so recent years, I can create very simple bash scripts. Just last week I wrote the best ever bash script I had ever written and I done this based on the understanding which I had built over the years and then searching the web for example answers to the problem scenarios which I was trying to overcome. My bash script started out as a simple HTTPS network check for the Cisco AMP cloud list of "Required accessible URLs" from the cisco documentation.

My script ended up as a network checker that when invoked, would have a status bar that scrolls across which shows the status, as well as a menu system to check the current cisco amp service, if installed. And would also give menu options to install the software if not installed, reinstall if already installed. It resulted in just over 500 lines. I did actually add some code so that the Linux engineers whom now run my script to install cisco amp (but dont inform me when they're doing it) the code will pull the hostname and IP from the system and push this via curl to a webhook hosted on microsoft power automate which then punts that to an MS Teams message.

I'm very proud of the achievement. I only directly copied one piece of code which was for the status bar which scrolls across. I did need to modify it but I put a reference to the web address I got it from.

My next challenge was to make a simple HTTPS network checker for powershell / Windows so that we could at least check the connectivity on some windows hosts with issues. I managed to succeed but it took me way too long and I gave up doing exactly what I wanted because I never really done anything with powershell before and couldnt understand/learn from my google searches. I managed to create a script which really messily checks a list of urls and prints out which urls were showing as down. It worked but was pretty naff.

So after seeing your post you reminded me about this. I opened it up and had a little chat with my gpt friend. Within about 6 minutes I'm already ahead of where I got to in the last 8-12 working hours and it's more polished than I was able to achieve. I'm now seeing how far I Can take it, getting it to create a menu system and check the AMP service status.

At this point, it's more functional comedy than anything else. I've never been laughing whilst working in IT before.