Certification Goals for 2023

Started by deanwebb, April 24, 2023, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Dang, it's April, but at least I'm starting the thread!

I picked up my Eggplant certifications, level 1 and 2, and have appeased the vendor gods... for now...  :smug:

(Eggplant is a software GUI testing suite that has nothing really to do with networking, but we sell it, so I needed to get certified in it. Lots of programming stuff, but their code is easy to read and figure out, so it's all good. :D )

Now on to ServiceNOW CSA training... that's the next one I need to knock down. All these security vendors hook into SNOW, and I need to be able to both run our SNOW instances for those integrations and to talk about them intelligently with our customers.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

Had my 3 year renewal on my CISSP last month. Finished all the CPE stuff about a month early, paid the fee, and get to start CPEs all over again. Also have CCNP renewal coming up. Cisco Live should cover the CPE I need for that. Cisco finally opened the scheduling for Cisco Live last week and I got my week planned out. Need to count the expected CPEs to make sure it will cover and maybe change classes around to get enough credits. I am also going to try the CCNA level DevNet cert exam while I am there. Other than that I might end up getting the PCNSE. We do a lot more Palo these days so might just go take the exam.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Let me know before you take the PCNSE, I took that last year with my PCNSA. Definitely reading through the Admin Guide was a huge help on that exam.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Just had some CyberArk pre-sales certs added to my to-do list. Knocking out the 5th of 5 hopefully today. They're pretty painless, kind of like annual security awareness videos in terms of the ease of the certification exam.

config t

On day 4 of a CISSP bootcamp. I'm drained but it's something I wish I did 5 years ago.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

networkloser

idk if that's only me, but cissp is so basic in terms of web security perspective.

deanwebb

Quote from: networkloser on October 11, 2023, 03:49:02 AMidk if that's only me, but cissp is so basic in terms of web security perspective.

It's basic in almost everything, but it covers so much. It's a mile wide and an inch deep. Metric conversion is it's 1.26km wide and 2.54cm deep. :smug:

config t

First impression is that I wish I did it five (5) years ago.

config t

Passed the exam today. I put it off for a few weeks promising myself I would study more. I didn't. Did a couple hours of review last night and another hour or so this morning. Barely did any practice questions.

YMMV. Stored knowledge and experience from lots of test taking and working in high security environments for the past 14-years is my reasoning on why I was able to pull it off with such a half-a$$ effort.

IMO the old CCNP R&S was harder.

deanwebb

Lol, I might just register and see what happens. :D

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on October 28, 2023, 08:59:57 AMLol, I might just register and see what happens. :D

TBH the boot camp made the difference for me. They can't teach you the test but they can tell you what to focus on. I can't remember an unfamiliar IP address three minutes after you tell it to me, but explain a concept and it's apparently in there forever.

Not sure what's next. I'm thinking FSCE because I already took the class and still have my notes. Another low hanging fruit. They are enforcing the FSCA -> FSCP -> FSCE path now so I would have to take the FSCP first. I'm considering just taking it and seeing what happens.

config t

FSCE next week. I found out as a partner I can go FSCA -> FSCE as long as I have deployment experience. Which I does.

After this I am keen on CSA's Zero Trust training.

icecream-guy

squeeze 'em out, if ya can. There's only a month left in the year.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Otanx

For the first time in awhile I actually got most of my goals this year. Renewed both CISSP, and CCNP. The CCNP was close I didn't end up with enough credits from Cisco Live, and had to do some online training through U.Cisco to get the last few. The CPEs didn't actually get processed until after the CCNP expired, but they date them to when you took it, and it reactivated. I was a little worried for awhile. I also passed the CCNA-DevNet test. It wasn't too hard.

Now to figure out 2024 goals.

-Otanx