Documentary - How the PIX saved the internet

Started by Dieselboy, June 06, 2023, 09:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

Short documentary about how the PIX appliance saved the world by implementing NAT to save the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLrfqtf4txw

icecream-guy

LOL, I learned firewalls on those pieces of crap.

IPv4 solution, IPv8
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

All you fancy-pants kiddos with your Palos and your Zscalers, I HAD TO WORK WITH PIXes!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

I have made config changes to a few 515's, back when I was just beginning to work as a network engineer around 2007 - 2009. The config is a bit different compared to ASAs and I needed to ask for some help :)

I liked how the video explained the IETF didnt want to use NAT because it went against the philosophy of the internet being connected to everything with no single points of failure.

deanwebb

These are my people, loved that little documentary.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 08, 2023, 12:32:16 PM
These are my people, loved that little documentary.

There are comments there for some very senior people involved back then. I enjoyed reading those :)