Transparent Public IP Address

Started by LeeWol, September 23, 2023, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeWol

Hi all,

I have a noob question.

I have a virgin modem connected directly to my switch & 2 firewalls connected to the switch via the WAN port from each firewall as I have them set-up in HA.

Virgin modem to switch port 1
Firewall 1 WAN to switch port 2
Firewall 2 WAN to switch port 3

The issue I'm having is the WAN ports on my firewalls are set to DHCP and are not getting my public IP address pushed through.

They either don't get an address or an internal IP after a reboot.

However, connecting the virgin modem directly to the WAN on the master firewall pulls it through & works fine.

Any idea's how I get around this?

Thanks,
Lee.

icecream-guy

your ISP may allow only 1 MAC address to allocate one ip, from their DHCP Pool.
you may have to contact them to allow multiple MAC addresses, or set the other device with the same MAC address, which may cause other issues.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

I'm thinking a bulk router between the ISP modem and the HA firewalls, so that the firewalls can have a hard-coded IP address and the router handles the DHCP with the ISP interface. The router can also do some heavy lifting by simply dropping any traffic from undesired IP ranges, which takes load off of the firewalls.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.