I Did a Good Thing, and I Am Proud

Started by deanwebb, October 26, 2015, 09:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

:goku:

I asked for a certificate on Thursday. Come Monday morning, still no response.

So I sent a follow-up email and CC'd the project management team.

Within the hour, I got the certificate.

Just installed it, and it's working perfectly. Also the weekend upgrades went well after I suggested that the upgrade may have changed the file structure, which would be why the backup restore didn't work. My counterpart took that suggestion, set up the folders needed and stuffed them with goodies, and it's all good.

:bole:

(Please feel free to use this thread at any time when you need to crow about when things are just going your way and you'd like to brag a little.)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on October 26, 2015, 09:10:39 AM
:goku:

I asked for a certificate on Thursday. Come Monday morning, still no response.

So I sent a follow-up email and CC'd the project management team.

Within the hour, I got the certificate.

Just installed it, and it's working perfectly. Also the weekend upgrades went well after I suggested that the upgrade may have changed the file structure, which would be why the backup restore didn't work. My counterpart took that suggestion, set up the folders needed and stuffed them with goodies, and it's all good.

:bole:

(Please feel free to use this thread at any time when you need to crow about when things are just going your way and you'd like to brag a little.)

Haha - way to go Dean. ;) 
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

I'm totally on a roll today. I just finished doing my health benefits enrollment and I'm squaring away my Tipping Point classes in December. AND I'm going to a vendor-provided luncheon at a really nice steakhouse next Tuesday, just found out.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

:gangsta:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Sometimes, you solve a network problem by solving a Linux config problem.

If there's a delay between entering your username and being prompted for your password on a Linux box, turn off GSSAPI and reverse DNS lookup. BAM.

http://ask.xmodulo.com/fix-slow-ssh-login-issue-linux.html

:banana:

deanwebb

Just got a big, big issue with our guest wireless network cleared up.

YESH

:matrix:

PROTIP: If the device doing a DNS capture is blocking DNS traffic to itself, that block will interfere with the function of the DNS capture, even if the vendor insists it's not his gear that's misconfigured.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on December 02, 2015, 10:18:39 AM
Just got a big, big issue with our guest wireless network cleared up.

YESH

:matrix:

PROTIP: If the device doing a DNS capture is blocking DNS traffic to itself, that block will interfere with the function of the DNS capture, even if the vendor insists it's not his gear that's misconfigured.

So .... the block is blocking... sounds like working as intended!

deanwebb

The block was blocking everything, even the block. :problem?:

Otanx

deny ip any any is secure.

-Otanx

<Fixed your modify there, Dean... way to Ninja Otanx's post... :P >

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on December 02, 2015, 10:42:04 AM
deny ip any any is secure.

-Otanx

deny ip any any log is secure, and provides full forensic information.

:professorcat:

wintermute000

And a nice control plane workout / cpu punt on many platforms

dlots

Found and cleared up a networking issue, I noticed my SSH sessions were a little sluggy so I did some digging and found the traffic between a bunch of our routers was loosing ~30% of it's traffic!  Found the switched port that was the issue even though there were no indicators like errors, drops, etc on the port or the port it was connecting to.  Moved spanning-tree to one of it's alt ports and it's good to go now.  About half an hour into the process I had 3 other people notice stuff was slow and they weren't happy with my broken network and no thanks for finding and fixing the issue quite quickly (even without any network monitoring software).

dlots

We need an "I did something bad and I am ashamed" section, cause when I moved off the port that was working poorly I moved it off to a port... a port that was blocking a very important vlan and killed a bunch of stuff.

deanwebb

:doh:

I think there is a thread for big mistakes already here... I could sticky it for you. :lol:

NetworkGroover

Quote from: dlots on December 08, 2015, 04:07:28 PM
We need an "I did something bad and I am ashamed" section, cause when I moved off the port that was working poorly I moved it off to a port... a port that was blocking a very important vlan and killed a bunch of stuff.

Errmm... sounds like you have an odd network setup...

dlots

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on December 08, 2015, 04:48:29 PM
Errmm... sounds like you have an odd network setup...

Like you wouldn't believe!!!  It's kind of a weird cloud setup. We have 40+ areas using the same single IP space, and I am the only one who does up-keep on it in my spair time, and it's kinda a hack job right now just cause I don't have time :-[.

I would have been fine if we were doing PVST, but we have way to many vlans for that so the MSTP got me :-(