Did You See That Ludicrous Display Last Night?

Started by deanwebb, January 07, 2015, 12:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

I've got a co-worker from England that's totally lost when we start talking about American Football at lunch. I know it's late in the season, but I'd like to be able to provide a resource for him so that he can brush up on the football info and participate in discussions, even if he doesn't know what he's saying.

Peter King's MMQB is a good column to read, as is Gregg Easterbrook's TMQ. Those are my go-tos. Any other suggestions, particularly ones that come out on Sunday night? Ones that cover college ball make for an added plus.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Putney

Would love to see these suggestions for myself because I understand some of it, but being an Aussie I don't get much exposure to regular columns etc.

deanwebb

Tuesday Morning Quarterback (comes up usually late Tuesday morning): http://search.espn.go.com/tmq/gregg-easterbrook/

Monday Morning Quarterback (comes up early Monday morning): http://mmqb.si.com/
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Network2501

I was surprised to learn NFL players need to complete a college degree and played college football otherwise they can't enter the draft. The AFL here has nothing like that.

Also go the Vikings.  :pub:
- Pete

deanwebb

Talking points from the Saturday games:

What was with all those penalties? (either game, other party will generate an "I know" type of response, concur and move on)

Man, what was with Kam Chandler jumping *over* the line? (Seattle defensive player cleared the Carolina front line to block a field goal attempt. Penalties (see first line) caused the Carolina kicker to try three successive times, finally getting a play that counted on the third try.)

Carolina just wasn't ready for the playoffs. Then again, Arizona wouldn't have made it, either. (may trigger discussion of which NFC team that missed the playoffs should have been playing against Seattle... but there really weren't a lot of great contenders that stayed home in January...)

Turnovers are what really did in the Panthers. (first interception was more of an early punt, but the pick-6 in the 4th quarter sealed Carolina's fate) (a pick-6 is when a defensive player returns an interception for a touchdown)

Belichik and Brady really want another Super Bowl ring bad... that was a hungry Patriots team out there... (general agreement to this one)

Amazing how New England came from behind *3 times* to pull off a win! (first two were 14-point deficits, last one was when they were down by 3)

Looks like Harbaugh isn't living in Belichik's head anymore. (Reference to how the Ravens coach beat the Pats in playoffs twice before, but lost in their last two meetings)

Both Flacco and Brady were amazing. What a shootout! (Both quarterbacks were doing very well, kept the game close)

That should get you started.

deanwebb

Dallas-Green Bay notes:

Challenging Dez Bryant's catch on the 1 made the game.

Aaron Rogers showed he doesn't need to run.

Do you think that if Dallas had made that field goal earlier that they would have taken another field goal attempt? (leads to a discussion that involves math, addition and statistics, where you can geek out without needing to know much about sports.)

deanwebb

Colts-Broncos notes:

Wow... Denver actually booed Peyton Manning... Stay classy, Denver. (Manning had thrown six incompletions in a row, so the fans were harsh in their assessment of his future potential as he took the field)

Luck and T.Y. Hilton sure made it look easy. (Passer/receiver combo that was very productive in the game)

But can Indy stand up to New England? (Leads to a discussion of how New England seems to have a much wider and deeper range of weapons at their disposal.)

deanwebb

Blackout

Quote from: Network2501 on January 08, 2015, 09:09:06 PM
I was surprised to learn NFL players need to complete a college degree and played college football otherwise they can't enter the draft. The AFL here has nothing like that.

Also go the Vikings.  :pub:

Actually they don't need to complete their degree, they are however required to have completed at least 3 season in college.

deanwebb

As Packers-Seahawks goes into overtime, a few comments...

1. Packers left 8 points on the field in the first half. They had two 4th and goals. Had they made even one, they'd be up by a point now. Made both, up by 5. That could be critical.

2. Where was Seattle's offensive line? Wilson looked like Tony Romo from last year. Throwing bricks, getting sacked, constantly under pressure. That's not the kind of play you want to see in the playoffs.

3. Seattle's defense wasn't doing a lot of amazing... they even let an injured Aaron Rogers trot his way to a first down, which led to the field goal that tied up the game.

4. Good move by Seattle both on the fake kick and then, later, the 2-point conversion. For his credit, Wilson was worth more for his running game than his passing game.

OK, Seattle gets the kickoff. If they get a TD, then Green Bay is gonna wish they hadn't left those points on the field...

EDIT: Spoiler alert... Green Bay is now positively kicking themselves that they left those points on the field. The Gods of Football gave them two early turnovers and they only did 6 points with them.

deanwebb

Now the Pats-Colts action...

1. Indy dropped their first punt return. That is not a good thing to do when playing New England.

2. The Colt's TD drive in the second quarter coming off an interception was nice, but it was sustained by two critical Patriots penalties. That's not the way you want to be moving the ball down the field. The Colts offense had some nice moves, but the Patriots defense still looked convincingly tough and competent.

3. And for the Colts to rough the passer on the following drive? The Pats didn't need the help, but they took that help all the same. That foul put the Pats within shootin' range of the endzone, not good at all. Patriots ran that clock good and hard and got three points out of that drive.

4. The Patriots showed a very convincing offense with plenty of options. These guys are the genuine article.

5. That was one sweet interception by the Patriots towards the end of the 3rd Quarter. It was already 31-7, but that pretty much meant game over for the Colts. 38-7 just a few seconds after that pick. Game over, man, game over...

The Seahawks better get their stuff together, or the Patriots will eat them alive in the Super Bowl.

LynK

i hope the seahawks break tom brady's legs.... and I am from the NE. :developers: :developers: :developers:
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

deanwebb

I'm afraid that the Pats' front line will keep that from happening.

deanwebb

Those last few minutes of the Super Bowl were crazy, crazy, crazy.

1. Tom Brady got the job done.  :not_worthy:

2. So THAT was a catch and Dez Bryant's wasn't? OK, then...  :problem?:

3. Same miracle catch happened to Pats when they lost to the Giants in the SuperBowl... lolz...  :angry:

4. So it's 4th and goal, short yardage, and you've got Marshawn Lynch... hmm... what play to call... I know, a pass!  :zomgwtfbbq:

5. Seattle's fouls sealed their fates. Two penalties took the Pats from a potential safety and a kick return for a touchdown - long shot but still possible - to kneeling a good distance away from the endzone. Encroachment could have been avoided with better practice, the personal foul could have been avoided with better classiness.  C:-)

Good game, much better than last year. And was it just me or did the giant puppet tiger Katy Perry was riding have a massive goiter?  :o