I want to learn Routing (OSPF,RIP,BGP) from scratch to depth?

Started by networkloser, April 28, 2024, 12:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

networkloser

What kind of labs can I do? And what kind of books to study. THere are cisco books but I could not figure out which one is good. Please tell.

icecream-guy

Just search your favorite search engine for the topics mentioned

like this. I searched ospf dr and bdr elections

Understand Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) - Design Guide
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/open-shortest-path-first-ospf/7039-1.html

as for books, I would recommend
Cisco Press - CCIE Professional Development Routing TCPIP, Volume I.

you can find it online somewhere if you look hard enough.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

networkloser

I see. You recommend I buy networklessons course or buy this book?

icecream-guy

not necessarily, but you need motivation to find documents about these subjects. otherwise without motivation you will not learn these subjects.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Start with RIP, it is easiest.

Then go to OSPF and see why it is used instead of RIP in organizations with any level of sophistication.

End with BGP, the big Internet protocol, also used inside of multinational organizations with extensive routing requirements between branches.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

While you are learning get familiar with the debug commands and why to use them. Break stuff in your lab and see what kind of logs it generates.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

kannies

Optimal Routing Design by Russ White is a timeless resource also.

deanwebb

Quote from: kannies on June 03, 2024, 10:05:09 AMOptimal Routing Design by Russ White is a timeless resource also.

Quoting for truth.

Also hello thar! :D
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.