Bandwidth monitoring and historical tracking

Started by heath, November 05, 2015, 11:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heath

I'm looking for something specific for bandwidth monitoring.  Not just simple Up/Down and alerting. I need something that tracks bandwidth usage and will keep data and generate historical reports (or export that data to something else so I can work with the data to get the report I want).

I've been using ManageEngine OpUtils and it has worked fine until now. But now I'm being asked to provide more detailed historical bandwidth data than it will provide. The bandwidth report it generates is not very granular and the options are limited. It provides 5 minute interval data over the past hour, 15 minute interval data over the past day, one hour interval data over the past month, and one day interval data over the past year.

I need to retain that 5 or 15 minute interval data over a whole year. And to be able to compare any given point in time over the past year to any other given point in time over the past year (including now).

Oh, and it has to be easy.  And free!   ;D  Any suggestions?

deanwebb

Is this for measuring security, performance, or both?

Of course, there's the old line, "Fast, cheap, good: pick two." If it's easy and free, chances are it won't be good. If you want free and good, it sure won't be easy.

But, yeah, performance or security, which is the top priority?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

heath

Performance. 

The immediate issue bringing this about is our ISP is raising our rate because we're using more bandwidth than previously.  While the data I can provide from OpUtils verifies that, my boss still isn't happy and wants more detailed usage data from our side.  Obviously I can't provide data that isn't there so a new monitoring solution won't help for this, but I need to have something for the future.  So I could show him (or our ISP) a direct comparison between, for example, yesterday and a random business day 6 or 8 months ago.  And not only for our ISP connection but connections between core switches and between core and distribution switches, etc.

NetworkGroover

Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: heath on November 05, 2015, 12:33:19 PM
Performance. 

The immediate issue bringing this about is our ISP is raising our rate because we're using more bandwidth than previously.  While the data I can provide from OpUtils verifies that, my boss still isn't happy and wants more detailed usage data from our side.  Obviously I can't provide data that isn't there so a new monitoring solution won't help for this, but I need to have something for the future.  So I could show him (or our ISP) a direct comparison between, for example, yesterday and a random business day 6 or 8 months ago.  And not only for our ISP connection but connections between core switches and between core and distribution switches, etc.

If you're a small business, you could get SolarWinds Orion for about $1895. Adding netflow is about another $495, if I recall correctly. Bigger business means a bigger license, but that's a quite usable product.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

that1guy15

Are you able to adjust your retention intervals? Most NMS tools on the market allow you to adjust these but you will pay in strorage usage on your server.

If Solarwinds is too expensive then I suggest giving Zenoss or OpenNMS a shot. Both are great tools. If they are too overkill for your needs then something like MRTG a great too but minus the reporting. You would need to integrate or use something like Cacti to get reports.

That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

You need netflow whatever you do, if you want any visibility into what ips are doing the traffic.

heath