Certification Goals for 2016... What Are Yours?

Started by deanwebb, November 17, 2015, 08:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Might be able to... thing is, I *am* doing 3 days of work in a 24-hour period. As the RADIUS engineer attached to this project, I'm up around the clock on supporting a global migration from one RADIUS platform to another. Loads of work right now, and after the work's done, I'm not in a good frame of mind to study... and I'm NOT going to go the route of a dumper, that's for sure!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 10, 2016, 07:56:10 AM
and I'm NOT going to go the route of a dumper, that's for sure!

never implied that.

I've been thinking about letting my CCNP drop too, after the next rotation, but I spent soo much time in getting one, I don't want to go through that again.
thankfully I'll have my BCNP forever.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

No worries, I knew you didn't imply that. It's more for the benefit of anyone on the edge who's reading this. Do all the work honestly, and then you'll know you can do honest work.

What I like about CISSP is that it's maintained with learning/experiential credits. Yes, it's a pain to submit paperwork every year, but it's less of a pain than sitting for an exam for a product one doesn't even use. Honestly, the only Cisco security gear we use lots of is the ASA firewall, and then only for firewall functions.

IPS? Different vendor.
ACLs on the routers? Why make them do the firewall's job?
VPN? Different vendor.
NAC? Different vendor?
Sourcefire? If it was on the test, I would have taken the class for it already.

So, yeah... not a lot of pressure to get CCNP-Security renewed. So, onwards to the CISSP!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

dipenshah

Question

If someone gets a VMware exam discount code to take up to 6 (six) online, unproctored VMware Certification exams at 70% off the normal price (via School). Is it worth doing?

The VMware VCA-NV costs around $35 with the discount code!

deanwebb

VMWare certs are very good to have, but they will also steer you towards the datacenter. Take them if you wish to go in that direction.

dipenshah

SimonV

It's time to start labbing again. What image are y'all using in GNS3 these days?

And where can I find it?

icecream-guy

Quote from: SimonV on July 26, 2016, 01:21:09 PM
It's time to start labbing again. What image are y'all using in GNS3 these days?

And where can I find it?

using 7200 routers and 15.2(4)M7 for the routing part
using 3745 routers with 12.4(25d) with an NM-16ESW installed as a switch.

you can find the images on Cisco.com
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

SimonV

wintermute000

Check the iol/iou thread by setit in the tutorials section

that1guy15

Gonna mark it now...

This will be the first year in 12 years that I have not been studying for and/or obtained a certification or degree.

Its been a new road but I get to play with what I want when I want.
CCIE recert will be late next year so Im targeting in on the CCDE written or possibly the SP written. But Im realistic and assume Ill scramble like most and knock out the RS late next year...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

I'm going ccde recert. It's 50% overlap and i am not reading that rs written stuff again LOL

yeah feels good to be automating without guilt huh! I'm spending all my lab time on ansible/veos and NSX

don't forget they now 'nicely' put you in inactive or something similar after 2 years, but you have 1 year to recert before they make you do the lab again. A colleague of mine just did that (i.e. re-certed after 2 years expired but before 3 years).

config t

I am now 2-weeks into my CCIE RS studies. 2 more weeks of fundamentals and then it's lab practice for 8 solid weeks. No clue if I will be ready for the practical by then, but I will be a hell of a lot closer, anyway.

Planning to sit for the written in about 2 months.

:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Quote from: config t on July 29, 2016, 04:47:24 AM
I am now 2-weeks into my CCIE RS studies. 2 more weeks of fundamentals and then it's lab practice for 8 solid weeks. No clue if I will be ready for the practical by then, but I will be a hell of a lot closer, anyway.

Planning to sit for the written in about 2 months.

So... if your post count suddenly explodes, we should tell you to get back to labbing? :D

wintermute000

Just my view, but though lab is required to keep sane + practical understanding, for the written it won't help much. Just need to grind it out painfully and pointlessly . Oh how I despise the written