Certification Goals for 2016... What Are Yours?

Started by deanwebb, November 17, 2015, 08:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on December 28, 2015, 05:16:31 PM
... because I'm into extra letters. I can use them as a shorthand notation for my experience with a product, which is what matters most.

deanwebb needs his Certified Internet Webmaster certifications (CIW) for running this place for over a year now.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on December 29, 2015, 08:08:11 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on December 28, 2015, 05:16:31 PM
... because I'm into extra letters. I can use them as a shorthand notation for my experience with a product, which is what matters most.

deanwebb needs his Certified Internet Webmaster certifications (CIW) for running this place for over a year now.

That's what the MCP+Internet I earned back in 1996 is for. 8)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

My CCNP textbooks are still for the previous versions. Planning to take the ROUTE to renew this year, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting the new text book or study the new topics separately? Think it's just DMVPN that was added and the rest is more or less the same?

deanwebb

Lucky you, there's a new official cert guide to consider... I think that's all that got added.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

flipmode

Currently studying for my CCNP Switch 300-115 exam in April. The resources I am using are Udemy-Chris Bryant and CBT nuggets- Jeremy Cioara. Both are video courses and I am learning a TON from them! I also bought Switch Lab videos on Udemy but havent started any of them. Any other resources you guys recommend?...to be honest Im not much of a reader LOL the old saying that pictures/videos are a worth a thousand words are very true in my case!

deanwebb

Both those resources ought to be really good, I've heard good things about them.

SimonV

I used this app heavily when I was studying for it, but it hasn't been updated for the new exams:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.initialDraft.flashcardCCNP&hl=en

Plus also the FLG and OCG books, GNS3vault labs and anything else I could get my hands on.

deanwebb

Changing my decision on which test to use to re-cert my CCNP: going with SIMOS, since VPN stuff is still the same old VPN stuff and the firewall test also brings in the worst stuff of the old SECURE exam. Eugh. Just need to get supplemental materials on FlexVPN and I can re-use my old 642-648 VPN book for everything else.

icecream-guy

I gotta throw down the hammer and buy the TSHOOT Cert Guide 300-135, I still got most of the year, but need to get reading.

I couldn't even build up a OSPF neighborship yesterday, then started troubleshooting and found the vlan SVI was SHUT on one device.
That got me so many times...

NetworkGroover

Quote from: ristau5741 on February 04, 2016, 11:21:18 AM
I gotta throw down the hammer and buy the TSHOOT Cert Guide 300-135, I still got most of the year, but need to get reading.

I couldn't even build up a OSPF neighborship yesterday, then started troubleshooting and found the vlan SVI was SHUT on one device.

Don't tell me you're one of those weirdos who likes forming OSPF adjacencies across trunks.   :problem?:
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

icecream-guy

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on February 04, 2016, 11:33:30 AM

Don't tell me you're one of those weirdos who likes forming OSPF adjacencies across trunks.   :problem?:

access port, it was in a pinch in the lab, working with IPSLA,  wanted to see how the OSPF routing table changed on an adjacent router when the IPSLA set off.

Reggle

Red Hat certification guide arrived. That's one heavy book.

AnthonyC

Quote from: Reggle on February 05, 2016, 08:25:07 AM
Red Hat certification guide arrived. That's one heavy book.

Cool, if I was to do another cert. it'd be RH.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

icecream-guy

I gotta throw down the hammer and buy the TSHOOT Cert Guide 300-135,

Dropped the hammer yesterday, got it for less than $50US on Amazon.

SimonV

Last time I did the TSHOOT, the book wasn't really relevant for the exam. It was mostly just troubleshooting what you learned in the other exams. There were some neat tricks in the book though :)