Visio Stencils

Started by Ironman, January 08, 2015, 09:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Network2501

They're the diagrams that don't matter ;)

Edit: to techs..
- Pete

deanwebb

On a more serious note, we do like images that match the front of the gear so that new guys find it easy to identify the stuff. Having a 6509 image as opposed to a 4507 image makes for rather smooth-looking low-level design visios.

To be sure, having the host names and IP addresses by the pictures is best of all.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

hizzo3

Quote from: deanwebb on January 10, 2015, 08:31:48 AM
Our management expects a certain ratio of cuteness:geekiness in a report.
Funny you say that. At least once a month a I have a meeting over color used in some of my reports...

NetworkGroover

Ugh.... I hate physical stencils used for logical diagrams.. makes my skin crawl. EDIT - They're for cabling diagram/rack elevations.... leave them there.

I've gotten to the point I just draw boxes now and list the model number in them...

EDIT - Haha, just read through the first posts in this thread - seems I'm not alone.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

mynd

I've moved away from visio, myself. In their 2010 version, I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out their dynamic connectors. So I've moved to inkscape and manually draw the connectors. It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy.

sgtcasey

Moving to Visio 2010 was also a bit of a learning curve compared to 2003.  I didn't like it at first but it grew on me a bit.  As for the dynamic connectors, I just disable that.  I draw my maps fairly statically yet keep things connected if I need to move things around to update them later.
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

Network2501

Rolling with Visio 2013 here. Also created a custom stencil I use for any diagrams I create for solving issues with custom scale based connector points so resizing stencils doesn't break things. Also having host names and IPs can help at times so there's space above and below the icon.

Come to think of it I could probably get rid of the "router" icon but at times I deal with L2 things. 

- Pete

config t

Quote from: that1guy15 on January 09, 2015, 09:21:23 AM
yeah i hate stencils. They never line up right and it all just gets messy once the diagram get complex. Boxes and circles for everything with device details in the center.

But not everyone likes this so I understand.

Can you give an example of this?
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: config t on September 11, 2015, 05:50:50 AM

Here's an example using OmniGraffle - I don't use stencils anymore either.  They should be left to rack elevation diagrams in my opinion... not necessary in logical diagrams.

Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

that1guy15

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on September 11, 2015, 10:19:32 AM
Quote from: config t on September 11, 2015, 05:50:50 AM

Here's an example using OmniGraffle - I don't use stencils anymore either.  They should be left to rack elevation diagrams in my opinion... not necessary in logical diagrams.

This is how I do it as well. Clean and simple. I like how you denote OSPF and L2/L3 boundry. Cleaner than what I do. I use dashed-lined boxes to group stuff like that.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

I've found these stencils very spiffy for high level design and slideware diagrams

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise/design-zone-smart-business-architecture/cvd.html

I combine them with the vmware sets, looks 'pro' ROFL.

On another note, if I ever see a diagram using the built in Visio network stencil icons, I automatically assume I'm dealing with either a noob or a server guy.

And I agree with That1guy, for complex low level diagrams, boxes with device info in the centre is where its at. You can then squeeze MOAR INFO