AWS DirectConnect

Started by wintermute000, December 09, 2015, 06:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintermute000

Reaching out for peeps with AWS DirectConnect XP. Their documentation is heavy on 'click like this' and light on explanation, at least at the level I want.

The bit I'm very unclear about (since I can't exactly lab a direct connect!) is: in the direct connect guide, it tells you to create a virtual interface under your direct connect. Allocate VLAN, IP, etc.

Now on the logical diagrams they show the direct connect traversing your VPC's VPG. But there is no reference in the direct connect guide to the VPG configuration, nor does the VPG network guide reference the words direct connect except for one appendix entry LOL.

So: when you create a virtual interface, is it basically attached to your VPG? And you don't need to specifically create a VPG interface and tie it together?
EDIT its kinda implied when you approve the virtual interface you attach to a VGW so that's a VPG I assume?

SECOND QUESTION
Are all VPCs always ASN 7224?

that1guy15

First time in a LONG time on this forum I have said this but,

I have no clue what any of those sentences mean...

Have a twitter buddy who is digging into AWS pretty deep right now. Id love to get some exposure to it or some of the other cloud offerings. Seems like cool stuff.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

LOL yeah for normal features I'd Just run it up on my own account but you can't exactly lab a direct connect

deanwebb

We'll be looking at AWS soon, but I'm only going to muss about with the security stuff.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

routerdork

I bought some AWS courses from the Udemy sale for $10 a piece but haven't had time to do them.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

DanC

Quote from: that1guy15 on December 09, 2015, 09:18:50 PM

I have no clue what any of those sentences mean...

Lol

Glad it's not just me!

AnthonyC

I haven't worked with DirectConnect but from here (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/directconnect/latest/UserGuide/createhostedvirtualinterface.html and here (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/directconnect/latest/UserGuide/Welcome.html):

QuoteTo connect to Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC), you must first do the following:

Provide a private Autonomous System Number (ASN). Amazon allocates a private IP address in the 169.x.x.x range to you.

Create a virtual private gateway and attach it to your VPC. For more information about creating a virtual private gateway, see Adding a Hardware Virtual Private Gateway to Your VPC in the Amazon VPC User Guide.

To connect to public AWS products such as Amazon EC2 and Amazon S3, you need to provide the following:

A public ASN that you own (preferred) or a private ASN.

Public IP addresses (/31) (that is, one for each end of the BGP session) for each BGP session. If you do not have public IP addresses to assign to this connection, log on to AWS and then open a ticket with AWS Support.

The public routes that you will advertise over BGP.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."