Exp with MRV console server?

Started by ZiPPy, January 06, 2016, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZiPPy

Does anybody have any experience working with MRV terminal servers?  My 2511-rj for my home lab is starting to crap out on me, so instead of picking up another 2511 I figured I would go with something else.  I really wanted an OpenView console server, but they are pretty pricey.

I can't even access the GUI of the damn thin, as it needs JRE 1.4 and I'm just having all kinds of issues trying to get that installed and working.  So I'm hitting everything from the command prompt.  I must be missing a configuration or messing it up, because I can connect to my devices but it only shows about 15 or 20 lines of the config and keeps returning a ^@ after that.  I didn't know this MRV was going to be so hard to configure, but for $140 bucks what can I expect.  When it's really cheap, it's old crap.

Model - MRV LX-4032S-001AC

Cheers,

routerdork

Never used their terminal server but I've used their switches and optical gear. A lot of long nights dealing with issues other companies wouldn't have.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

wintermute000

I recommend avocent or cyclades, will be less than 100... And just ssh straight to the port, configure via http no java

routerdork

Also, I remember some of the MRV switches having different console settings. A faster bad if I remember. Might give that a try.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

ZiPPy

I'll have to take a peak at the avocent or cyclades.

I actually went through various baud rates, but still was getting the same issue.  I tried to set up the session with as many variables as possible, and still no go.

routerdork

Uh-Oh

If you're still having trouble with this you might check the console cable pinout it expects. I'm not familiar with the unit but the older avocent/Cyclades use a different pinout from a normal console cable. With a normal console cable plugged into the sever it can appear to be working but have info missing.

mmcgurty

Sorry, most of my experience is with the Avocent Cyclades/DSR/MergePoint Unity lines or older Raritan IP KVM.