Answers to Support Questions I Wish I Could Use...

Started by deanwebb, January 11, 2016, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Developer: "Could you check to see if the firewall is blocking any of this traffic?"

Me: "UR MOMZ BLOCKING TRAFFIC!!! BURN!!!"
:problem?:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on January 11, 2016, 02:11:28 PM
Developer: "Could you check to see if the firewall is blocking any of this traffic?"

Me: "UR MOMZ BLOCKING TRAFFIC!!! BURN!!!"
:problem?:

I hate when they just give server names

Extent of ticket request:  Server Alfalfa can't communicate with server Buckwheat, please troubleshoot.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

wintermute000

1.) new request or incident, if incident, confirm when it was last working
2.) please advise source and destination IP
3.) please advise protocol and port
4.) please supply ping+traceroute output

send ticket back

In a smaller org you have enough contact/rapport with support teams so they get this kind of stuff down pat, but in a larger org you just have to do the needful [sic]

deanwebb

Well, there's what I say when I follow due diligence/care/process/whatever, but then there's also what I *wish* I could say and get away with, in some sort of comical, consequence-free fantasy world where networkers reign supreme...

Developer: Did you fix my throughput problem?

Me: Yes. I turned off your workstation.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

that1guy15

ME: Hello this is Ryan
Whoever: Yeah we have an issue with X and think
ME: Dude leave me alone Im on Imgur.com and looking at cat GIFs
Me: click
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Dieselboy

Me: What's the IP?
Them: juc-hostname-prd
Me: FFS! [opens command prompt.]

:developers:

deanwebb

User: Whenever I try to log on to this server, it says I have a bad password. I think it's a network problem.

Me: OK... try it now...

User: Huh. It got worse. I can't even connect to the server.

Me: Then you should call the server team. Sounds like a server problem.

Reggle

IM conversation:
Server admin: your firewall is blocking traffic. When it connects, it says connection reset right away.
Me: the firewall only silently drops and doesn't respond with resets. Is the daemon running on the right port, or at all?
*a few minutes pass*
Server admin: it works now. Thanks.

But the number of answers I would like to give...

Nerm

User: Hello, my connection is slow.
Me: Go F*CK yourself. *click*
Me: Finally goes to get first cup of coffee.

that1guy15

Quote from: Nerm on January 12, 2016, 08:09:02 AM
User: Hello, my connection is slow.
Me: Go F*CK yourself. *click*
Me: Finally goes to get first cup of coffee.

OR
ME: Yeah its 8-f'n AM and everyone is online looking at facebook and cat GIFs. Get some coffee and give it 30 min...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

NetworkGroover

Them: Hey, I have an issue.
Me: Hey, tell me if this sounds like a phone hanging up.  *click*
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Dieselboy

Had a quote to fix our broken patches in our Sri Lanka office. The quote also included a switch, and was unsure why since we don't need a switch. His reason is that the Cisco 2960S that I have is only cat5.
:zomgwtfbbq:

icecream-guy

what's the difference in pin out on a switch for Cat5E vs Cat6e?

nil, it's a cabling standard..
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

User: "The Network is slow."

Me: "Noooooo, iiiiiiiiiiit seeeeeeemmmssss ffiiiiiiiiiiiiiine to meeeeeeeeeee."