Answers to Support Questions I Wish I Could Use...

Started by deanwebb, January 11, 2016, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

I forgot to mention, I interviewed a guy in Sri Lanka last week. Our SL office is now bigger than our Australia office (each head costs management 1/4 to 1/5th the price of a head in Australia), and we need someone to go and build laptops, plug things in, call the ISP when they go down etc..

The guy had an impressive CV / resume. For someone who is 28 years old, 3 degrees and a long list of vendor certifications from VMWare / Microsoft and has a CCNA. TBH I don't know why I was in charge of interviewing him - I hadn't booked the interview and on paper he was overqualified for junior IT person. Then came the interview..

Couldn't answer any technical questions at all. I was getting a bit frustrated in myself, thinking he couldn't understand me or something like that. My Sys admin guy asked the last question. The scenario was that there's a farm of servers, serving a web application to hundreds or thousands of users. A very small number of users are not able to get to the application but instead are receiving Internal Server Error message. How would he go about troubleshooting this.
I thought the guy we are interviewing would say, well there's not enough info - is there a load balancer, ie to try and pin point which server is throwing the error in the farm. But instead he said 2 main things, the first - it's a network issue. And second, he would check the RAM usage of the servers.

I also wasn't able to get him to go into any detail about how he has worked on or troubleshooted any server issues. He mentioned a problem he had worked on, but no matter how I re-phrased the question, he went from A to Z and nothing in the middle, A being the problem and Z being what fixed it but there was no fault finding or explanation of how they / he linked the solution to the problem.

NetworkGroover

Lol... typical....

"Well, I rebooted it and now the problem's gone.  On to the next fire."  :awesome:
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Reggle

Reminds me, we once got a ticket with an e-mail automatically pasted into it.
All it said was 'Too slow'.
My colleague was hovering above the send key with his mouse after he typed in 'Too stupid?'

deanwebb

I almost forgot my favorite response I wish I could use:

:notthefirewall:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

dlots

Quote from: Dieselboy on January 18, 2016, 08:17:30 PMBut instead he said 2 main things, the first - it's a network issue.

You hired him on the spot right?  He sounds 100% qualified to be a server admin.

Nerm

Quote from: dlots on January 19, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
Quote from: Dieselboy on January 18, 2016, 08:17:30 PMBut instead he said 2 main things, the first - it's a network issue.

You hired him on the spot right?  He sounds 100% qualified to be a server admin.

:haha3:

deanwebb

Quote from: dlots on January 19, 2016, 02:19:37 PM

:haha4:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

"Of course that doesn't work. The vendor we picked due to cost concerns makes a crap product. Please transfer this ticket to the purchasing department for support."

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on February 15, 2016, 10:22:03 AM
"Of course that doesn't work. The vendor we picked due to cost concerns makes a crap product. Please transfer this ticket to the purchasing department for support."

Heh... when "LPTA" goes wrong....
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Otanx

Hmmm, wonder if I can get away with that.

-Otanx

Reggle

That. Would. Be. Awesome.

deanwebb

"We have one user that can't get to the Internet. Can we briefly permit any all all in both directions to rule out the firewall as a cause?"

:no: