is it just me or is reddit networking full of passive-aggressive know-it-alls

Started by wintermute000, January 23, 2016, 06:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintermute000

Is it just me or a bad run - but does anyone else feel like reddit networking has a really high proportion of snarky, passive-aggressive know-it-alls?
Took a brief look at some of the certification subreddits and its even worse.
It seems like you can't disagree with anyone without it turning into a personal attack and/or epeen measuring contest.

I'm even reluctant to disclose my certs on my 'flair' due to the fact that it seems to set people off even more (take your pick - the 'certs don't mean jack' crowd, the jelly crowd, the I-must-be-the-alpha-geek crowd etc.).

Unfortunately or fortunately the userbase is large enough that interesting stuff does get posted but its really put me off participating in any meaningful way.

Hooray for networking-forums.com, where we can discuss and share knowledge like adults

deanwebb

Before there was Reddit, there were AOL discussion areas...

And yes, I am very thankful for all the great people that post here. I learn something new every day from reading these forums.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

I have yet to get on Reddit, but I've heard stories....  I can't stand people like that.  You run into them everywhere though... it's a damn shame because those are the individuals who usually have the knowledge that could help many progress/grow, but instead use it as some justification to be pompous jerks.

I don't know if it's an inner desire to be better than the next person, or because you've done a ton of research/work that when someone less experienced asks what you consider it to be a dumb question, you expect the same out of them as you would yourself and bash them for not doing what you would have done - completely forgetting that not everyone is as cool as you.

EDIT - Perfect example.  I was promoted to Backline quickly when working at Websense.  Backline are the guys that take high profile support cases or cases escalated by frontline.  As a backline guy that had a case escalated to me by a frontline guy, after I fixed the issue, I would go back to the frontline guy and explain to them what the issue was, and how to fix it in the future, and teach them any supporting information around the topic.  They were shocked - I was the only Backline guy that did that.  It's just a different mentality - "teacher" vs. "lone wolf superstar"
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Dieselboy

What's reddit?

What's that other one, pintrest? What are these things?

icecream-guy

Alot of it is an 'holier than thou' attitude related to job security, "I ain't gonna teach you nuthing because you're gonna come along and take my job. If you want to get ahead of me, learn it like I did spending hundreds of hours".  Personally I'm more of a team player, with focus on the customer, the more the team works together the better service we provide the customer.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Nerm

I personally see that type of attitude as normal for the IT community. I think it has a lot to do with most people in IT were the "nerdy" kids in school where they were picked on and made to feel inferior physically. The internet and IT jobs have given them the chance to vent that hurt against those they feel are inferior to them mentally. They believe in the stigma that you can't be athletic/jock and smart at the same time. As one of those former "smart" athletes I have even had peers in IT treat me differently when they discover I was a jock in school. I even had one guy flat out tell me I didn't belong in IT and should change my career during a conversation about our differing high school experiences.

That is why I really enjoy this forum. Nobody looks down on me because I may not be as experienced and knowledgeable as the rest of you.

deanwebb

We only get after people that don't know how to google.

:banana:

Forum culture has a LOT to do with it. Reddit itself has a huge population that includes a large number of jerks, which sets the tone for the attitude of the forums there. I used to do an online game that involved lots of activity on various team forums, and how those forums got set up made a huge difference how people behaved there. The same guy that never stepped out of line on one forum that had set itself strict standards would be a total tool on a forum where the owners had an anything goes attitude.

Everyone here wants to be businesslike and any kidding is in good humor. I like to think that if we were all at the same company, we'd be a great place to work.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

that1guy15

Yeah Ive been on Reddit /r/networking and /r/Cisco for a year or so and only posted a handful of times. Usually get the same BS you are describing. The only positive post I had was my CCIE Pass which I figured would get flamed to hell. My biggest problem with these subs is there are so many people posting comments that any type of conversation usually gets lost quickly or starts getting spread out over multiple sub-threads. What sucks is most of its noise anyways and not helpful to the thread.

I have observed that reddit is really bad about everyone jumping on the popular opinion bandwagon and beating it into everyone.

Examples:
"You dont know what you are doing. Hire a consultant"
Ubiquiti Networks is hands down the best wireless anything for all situations
MicroTik Networks is hands down the best network anything for all situations. MicroTik all the things!!!
Cisco sucks!

To be fair I have not observed a single Reddit sub that is not this way. With all that said though there are some very smart and experienced people in those subs and from time to time some good advice/knowledge surfaces.

One of my first draws networking-forum(s) is the openness and how threads go beyond just simple answers. The deeper discussions and debates along with being able to be corrected without being flamed has been great.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

that1guy15

Oh and every time someone post "ELI5 blah blah blah" I want to punch them in the throat!!

Learn the technology at a basic level and you wont need it dumbed down this much.  :developers:
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

LynK

I stop by over on r/networking to read some of the problems/solutions. If you put a bunch of CCIEs in a room... we all know it ends up turning into a big dong show.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

NetworkGroover

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 25, 2016, 07:05:33 AM
Alot of it is an 'holier than thou' attitude related to job security, "I ain't gonna teach you nuthing because you're gonna come along and take my job. If you want to get ahead of me, learn it like I did spending hundreds of hours".  Personally I'm more of a team player, with focus on the customer, the more the team works together the better service we provide the customer.

Amen sir!  That's my mentality.  I can't stand selfish people.  You won't take my job... if I show I'm a team player and help others, I'm sure I'll be promoted and THEN you'll take my job. ;)  Even if you do "steal" my job (This mentality makes no sense in my opinion), I'm sure there are others who will hire me - as dumb as I am, I'm pretty confident on that piece.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on January 25, 2016, 08:04:43 AM
Everyone here wants to be businesslike and any kidding is in good humor. I like to think that if we were all at the same company, we'd be a great place to work.

Heck yeah!  That would be awesome! :rock: :rock:

TheGreatDoc

NFS International IT Consulting???? :think: :think: :think: :think:
a.k.a. Daniel.
I dont have any cert, just learned all by my self.

deanwebb

Quote from: TheGreatDoc on January 26, 2016, 06:50:37 AM

NFS International IT Consulting???? :think: :think: :think: :think:

We'd do fine until someone asks AspiringNetworker to do an ACI implementation.

:haha2:

that1guy15

I like how this thread is going.

Dean = Director of Allow IP Any Any
That1guy15
@that1guy_15