SNMPv3 via RADIUS

Started by NetworkGroover, January 26, 2016, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetworkGroover

Anyone done this before?  Anyone mind providing what a sample config would look like?  Trying to wrap my head around this.  Thanks.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

dlots

I didn't even know this was possible, but it looks cool!! 

Everything I can find says that it might be possible but no one knows how.  If you figure it out please let us know!!

NetworkGroover

Quote from: dlots on January 26, 2016, 12:26:52 PM
I didn't even know this was possible, but it looks cool!! 

Everything I can find says that it might be possible but no one knows how.  If you figure it out please let us know!!

Haha - yeah it's defined in RFC 5608 but having a heck of a time finding out how it's actually done.  Seems like this customer found an RFC and was interested in it... seems as though it's not commonly deployed.

deanwebb

On what vendor's equipment? Is it even supported on that platform?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on January 26, 2016, 01:14:08 PM
On what vendor's equipment? Is it even supported on that platform?

Any?  lol

deanwebb

Did a little googling... vendors and experts seem to like to mention that the RFC exists, but everyone only defines a local user in their SNMPv3 examples. Even Arista.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on January 26, 2016, 01:51:24 PM
Did a little googling... vendors and experts seem to like to mention that the RFC exists, but everyone only defines a local user in their SNMPv3 examples. Even Arista.

Yeah I've seen the same.  I'm wondering if you just configure the user as part of a group, but the user exists on a RADIUS server, does it use your aaa config groups (like... aaa authentication group radius local bla bla) instead of considering it to be a local account? Good times.

TheGreatDoc

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on January 26, 2016, 12:51:21 PM
Haha - yeah it's defined in RFC 5608 but having a heck of a time finding out how it's actually done.  Seems like this customer found an RFC and was interested in it... seems as though it's not commonly deployed.
Dude, you have customers looking for randoms RFCs or what?
a.k.a. Daniel.
I dont have any cert, just learned all by my self.

Otanx

Quote from: TheGreatDoc on January 27, 2016, 01:16:27 AM

It is probably someone like me who hates managing all their SNMP users on every box. Changing that password is a beast because of it even scripting the changes. If I could centralize the credentials it would be much easier. Unfortunately none of our gear supports it. I don't think anyone does right now.

-Otanx

NetworkGroover

Quote from: TheGreatDoc on January 27, 2016, 01:16:27 AM

Aside from the usefulness Otanx mentioned, this particular group - yes this is common practice for them.  They always want to be bleeding edge which makes it challenging, but at the same time very educational and a lot of fun tinkering with stuff.

Right now I know of one vendor discussing this internally to see if it can be done.