Bad Local Internet- split from Re: Trying to connect PC's, printer and hotspot

Started by DEADjesusR0DEO, January 10, 2015, 11:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEADjesusR0DEO

Hi guys I'm new on here and would like so info on some networking issues I'm having.

My mother in law has wireless internet with a small town company.

They are currently on a 1mb package. However we are getting along of dropped packages and extremely hight latency. I understand their internet isn't very good but it isn't working half the time.

The customer service guys told me that the set the MTU on their network to 1500. From what I understand about MTU, that seems really high for such slow internet. I'm just curious if that could be one of the issues?

Any input or information will be appreciated.

deanwebb

Welcome to the forums!

MTU is not necessarily connected to speed. It's actually a setting used as part of the network operational parameters.

Think of a machine that processes boxes. Fast or slow, you want to have the proper-sized box going into the machine so the machine can do its bit at maximum efficiency.

The MTU is the size of the packet that needs to go into that internet. If they want 1500, give 'em 1500. It's not a bad MTU, 1500. Differences in MTU are called for if there are concerns about adding to the packets for certain functions, which call for smaller MTUs or for better efficiency in data centers, which call for larger MTUs.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

hizzo3

I would suggest checking signal strength and making sure any types of interference near the hotspot are reduced. Do you know if the packets are being dropped from the computer to the hotspot or the hotspot to their network?

RTFM

Quote from: DEADjesusR0DEO on January 10, 2015, 11:42:08 AM

They are currently on a 1mb package. However we are getting along of dropped packages and extremely hight latency. I understand their internet isn't very good but it isn't working half the time.

How did you know packets are being dropped?
show ip route x.x.x.x   % Network not in table

wintermute000

Ping the default gateway IP and compare with ping to Google or any other internet destination.
Do you get issues transferring files between pcs on the network? Ie work out if the issue is your wireless or internet

fortworthtechs

Large variety of wireless conditions are automatically tested by the tools of Microsoft and HP. HP support assistant as it has a special codes which are specifically designed for the HP. Use automated troubleshooter which is built into windows 8 if computer does not have HP support assistant.

Reggle

Well waddayaknow. This forum exists long enough for necro posts already.

icecream-guy

Quote from: Reggle on September 17, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

yeah, everything went downhill since that 5000 posts mark was hit.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

hizzo3

Quote from: Reggle on September 17, 2015, 01:50:45 PM
Milestone reached.
Next up, defaced by Russian hackers. Lol

deanwebb

deanwebb

deanwebb