(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seittit

In this thread, we share lessons the day has taught us.

TIL the importance of having your iSCSI volumes in RAID configuration. My home lab was demolished due to faults within the filesystem within my NAS appliance, which led to several hours of rebuilding server 2012 templates, SQL databases, Active Directory forests, and the such.

Powerful RAID, you have my respect.

wintermute000

I only run a single SSD for my iSCSI, but 90% of my hosts are virtual routers and I have the show runs.
For my DC/Vcenter/linux server, I just veeam them monthly and/or clone them to local storage.

deanwebb

Today I learned that my car adapter only puts out 120 watts. That means I don't get to run a heating pad as I drive to/from work.

Oh me achin' back...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Seittit

Quote from: deanwebb on January 13, 2015, 08:50:18 AM
Today I learned that my car adapter only puts out 120 watts. That means I don't get to run a heating pad as I drive to/from work.

Oh me achin' back...

from one Texan to another: get a truck

Seittit

Quote from: wintermute000 on January 13, 2015, 04:58:05 AM
I only run a single SSD for my iSCSI, but 90% of my hosts are virtual routers and I have the show runs.
For my DC/Vcenter/linux server, I just veeam them monthly and/or clone them to local storage.

this is a good idea, I'm going to do the same for my CSRs henceforth. my iscsi failed me again this morning, but again it only affected my vmware esxi server; thinking there's something wrong with the iscsi software adapter. failing back to running a 2012 R2 server with Workstation installed, not running vcenter will save me 8GB of RAM which more than makes up for the 2012 install.

icecream-guy

Quote from: Seittit on January 13, 2015, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on January 13, 2015, 08:50:18 AM

Oh me achin' back...

from one Texan to another: get a truck

with seat heaters
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

I need to see if there are any after-market seat mods I can get... I'd like to get a seat massage system, as well.

Wow... learned something new today: kits start at $250 for the three-setting model with massage. http://www.heatyourseat.com/default.aspx
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

hizzo3

Motorcycle seats are common conversions for heating... So you may want to look that way. Depending how your seats are covered, you may just be able to pop it off and insert the element. You may have a harder time figuring out how to get the juice there vs getting the heat in the seat. Lol.

Seittit

TIL that Cisco TAC uses GNS3 openly, and will even share their results with customers.

Seittit

TIL that Cisco's EIGRP is not supported on their IE2000 series IP-Lite feature set. Interestingly enough, it supports OSPF, BGP and....RIP.

Nice work Cisco!

deanwebb

Quote from: Seittit on January 21, 2015, 07:38:08 AM
TIL that Cisco's EIGRP is not supported on their IE2000 series IP-Lite feature set. Interestingly enough, it supports OSPF, BGP and....RIP.

Nice work Cisco!

Wow... now even Cisco customers can complain about Cisco proprietary stuff...

TIL that Fortinet firewalls *want* you to just hop on and start configurin' them. Nice and inviting.

javentre

Quote from: deanwebb on January 21, 2015, 07:49:08 AM
Wow... now even Cisco customers can complain about Cisco proprietary stuff...

They are working toward making it an informational RFC.

http://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-savage-eigrp-02.txt
[url="http://networking.ventrefamily.com"]http://networking.ventrefamily.com[/url]

Seittit

Quote from: javentre on January 21, 2015, 10:00:14 AM
They are working toward making it an informational RFC.

http://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-savage-eigrp-02.txt

Today I also learned that DUAL is actually Cthulhu

deanwebb

If you like Cthulhu, you'll love Cthulhu Wars. http://www.greeneyegames.com

I love *my* CW game. Oh yes I do. Iä! Iä!

wintermute000

They're leaving out all the good features like stub