(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

that1guy15

Quote from: routerdork on August 11, 2015, 03:29:02 PM
TIL how to use Wireshark on the Cisco 3850's. Pretty slick.
Love this feature. Unless you are past 3.0 and run LAN-BASE. then its a no go. Is one of the reasons I purchased 3850 for my closets and now 90% of them cant run it :(
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

Reading this https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12013221/using-3850-embedded-wireshark-wired
It says define a capture filter to reduce load, then it also says it can't take a capture filter

so does it or does it not?

routerdork

Quote from: wintermute000 on August 12, 2015, 01:33:55 AM
Reading this https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12013221/using-3850-embedded-wireshark-wired
It says define a capture filter to reduce load, then it also says it can't take a capture filter

so does it or does it not?
I didn't try mine with a filter, I did mine on a whole VLAN that didn't have much traffic. But the doc I read mentioned using an ACL.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

wintermute000

Otanx

TIL that no matter how many times you change the interface settings on a Palo Alto it will not come up until you hit the commit button. Got the box online with the management interface, then spent about an hour troubleshooting why I could not get E1 to come up. Replaced the cable swapped to E2, changed ports on the switch, etc, etc. Then I saw the little commit button at the top. Oops.

-Otanx

hizzo3

TIL that it is unheard of to reject a salary offer and try to negotiate on an internal position. Lol

deanwebb

TIL that playing loud, aggressive rock and roll right before dialing in is a GREAT way to prep for a meeting.

Especially if I have to deal with network architecture questions.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

hizzo3

Before? Put it on mute and keep listening dude! Or at least use a 1 ear bud approach. On a side note, I was in a meeting not long ago that someone did that.

deanwebb

TI also L that...

QuoteIt turns out that when you add another switch to an existing (Cisco 3800/3700) stack, the SNMP agent in the switch stack does not automatically detect the new switch even  though the switch management itself does.  It is necessary to stop and restart the SNMP indexing for the switch stack to make the switch include the "new" chassis when it re-indexes its list of ports.

switch(config)#no snmp ifmib ifindex persist switch(config)# switch(config)#snmp ifmib ifindex persist

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Nerm

Quote from: hizzo3 on August 20, 2015, 04:24:20 PM
TIL that it is unheard of to reject a salary offer and try to negotiate on an internal position. Lol

Yep, and that is exactly why IT people jump ship to get ahead rather than move up internally in a company. There are exceptions to that rule of course but for the most part yea jumping ship is the only way to get ahead in IT.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Nerm on August 21, 2015, 07:08:15 AM
Quote from: hizzo3 on August 20, 2015, 04:24:20 PM

Yep, and that is exactly why IT people jump ship to get ahead rather than move up internally in a company. There are exceptions to that rule of course but for the most part yea jumping ship is the only way to get ahead in IT.

Very true... at my last place of employment a guy left the company, came back 6 months later, and got a 20k/year pay raise.

At that same employer, they weren't shocked at all when I turned in my 2-week notice because I was grossly underpaid, though I was appropriately paid for my skillset at the time of hiring - and they admitted that they had no structure to implement pay raises which has been an issue for them to hold on to good people. At that same employer, per company policy, even if I was a junior network tech and moved to "architect of the world", the most I could get was an additional 7% of current pay rate..... >:(
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

hizzo3

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 21, 2015, 11:51:12 AM
the most I could get was an additional 7% of current pay rate..... >:(

That is what I am running into now. Hiring manager agrees with what I've requested is fair... Its a matter of getting HR to approve a large base jump since I'm loosing a large bonus.

deanwebb

Quote from: hizzo3 on August 22, 2015, 09:33:55 AM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 21, 2015, 11:51:12 AM
the most I could get was an additional 7% of current pay rate..... >:(

That is what I am running into now. Hiring manager agrees with what I've requested is fair... Its a matter of getting HR to approve a large base jump since I'm loosing a large bonus.

And if they don't, then brace for them assigning you a ton of documentation projects all of a sudden... "Just in case you win the lottery or something..."

deanwebb

TIL that, according to the Government of India, my first name is *actually* my first and middle names.  :problem?:

Re-doing my India business visa application...  :-\

deanwebb

TIL that Juniper and Cisco VPNs define proxy-ids differently.

TI also L that, among other things, proxy-ids have to match for a VPN to work.