(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

config t

"show startup-config" is a thing
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

TIL more cool stuff about CrowdStrike. When we have it tapped into the Forescout, properties discovered in CS can be fed to FSCT for additional restrictions on the endpoint beyond what a CS agent may be applying.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

TIL....
1) it's not easy to upgrade openstack
2) migration from one openstack to another is [...] <- fill in the blank  :-[
3) I have to re-learn openstack using another deployment tool so that I can maintain and upgrade it going forward

deanwebb

TIL how to really ruin someone's day by disabling their AD account with a system that the AD team isn't fully aware of...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on January 29, 2020, 09:12:43 AM
TIL how to really ruin someone's day by disabling their AD account with a system that the AD team isn't fully aware of...

Why do I feel that went something like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdmQIT6HyBA

-Otanx

deanwebb

We can also do policy loops that result in rapidly cycling on/off conditions. :smug:

icecream-guy

TIL i learned how not to spend 24 hours on a TS call for a bad SFP,  I learn from other mistakes, poor suckers...  IDKWTF???
At least I got called into the TS session at 7AM, by noon I gave up and hung up the phone, exasperated. Not a firewall issue.

I also learned that my team lead was remove from contract today.   I don't know it both are related..   hush hush, no discussion, no details.
but he was the most senior network security with over 6 years on contract and network.  sucks to lose network knowledge like that.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

config t

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 29, 2020, 03:01:03 PM
sucks to lose network knowledge like that.

Yes it does. We went through that recently.

Also, why did it take so long to isolate it to the SFP? Did they entirely skip layer 1 and circle back at the end, or was it some kind of super wonky behavior going on? I have rearely seen those things rarely fail but when they do they either simply don't work (link down) or the log/interface outputs will point at it.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

icecream-guy

Quote from: config t on January 29, 2020, 09:36:40 PM
Quote from: ristau5741 on January 29, 2020, 03:01:03 PM
sucks to lose network knowledge like that.

Yes it does. We went through that recently.

Also, why did it take so long to isolate it to the SFP? Did they entirely skip layer 1 and circle back at the end, or was it some kind of super wonky behavior going on? I have rearely seen those things rarely fail but when they do they either simply don't work (link down) or the log/interface outputs will point at it.

it was a firewall issue,  no then it was a routing issue, no, when they do file transfers, the get like 300K transfer rate.  loose like 80% of ping.  I guess someone doesn't know how to troubleshoot, top down, bottom up, or divide and conquor.  i mean it was working, just not very efficiently. 
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Breaks the same place, every time: software.
Breaks in odd ways at odd times, but breaks hard: software interaction.
Isn't broken, but getting worse, until it doesn't even start at all: hardware.

deanwebb

TIL the difference between a filtered port and a closed port in an NMAP result.

Now, when the NMAP target is 127.0.0.1 and the result is "filtered", that's pretty interesting...

deanwebb

packetferret

TIL that the thread started under a different username is still going strong!

Also, the old forums networking-forum.com has completely shut down and is not a landing page for Bluehost. Serves them right.

wintermute000

They really messed up after Steve sold the site. A real shame esp as a ton of regulars have gone to vendors (including Steve), it would have been a great neutral meeting ground for off the record chats.
Still a few of us old timers hanging around

BTW why did you change your username?

deanwebb

Quote from: packetferret on February 16, 2020, 02:50:13 PM
TIL that the thread started under a different username is still going strong!

Welcome back after a long absence! Would you like your post count associated with this account? :smug: