(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

config t

Our TACLANE issue came back again on Sunday. We must have got lucky when it formed the SA, because they tried to connect it again and it kept failing with the same error messages (IKEv1 timeout) it turned out, and as I had theorized, a recent Black Core change required us to lower the MTU on our transport and nobody told us that tidbit. We figured it out after another several hours of troubleshooting.

My guess for the SAs that are already formed with the head TACLANE is that the maintenance traffic for maintaining the SAs is less sensitive to drops and retransmits. I bet if they had dropped they wouldn't have come back up.

Quote from: Otanx on May 07, 2021, 10:19:52 AM
Yep, a good COMSEC guy is worth their weight in gold. It is a very specific skill set that is only used in government so many people don't want to deal with it. I was so happy when my last day of COMSEC came, and I got to debrief.

-Otanx

Every environment I've been in the COMSEC guy just issues key mat or might go as far as to do the fill as well. It's always been up to the network team to configure and troubleshoot.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

config t

TIL (gained) a deeper understand of traffic shaping and policing.

deanwebb

TIL that hard water deposits sometimes come out of the pipes in a glob... and that they will turn your showering experience into a gray, sticky, mess.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

TIL that sh!t gets real really fast when an IP address from China turns up where it shouldn't.

Good news is that it looks like someone typed in another IP address incorrectly. But, still...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

TIL that if you have to say "however" when discussing a candidate for hiring, you don't have a strong candidate.

heath

Quote from: deanwebb on May 21, 2021, 09:16:13 PM
TIL that if you have to say "however" when discussing a candidate for hiring, you don't have a strong candidate.

I wish I knew what it was like to have a strong candidate...

config t

Quote from: heath on May 26, 2021, 11:38:58 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on May 21, 2021, 09:16:13 PM

I wish I knew what it was like to have a strong candidate...

You guys crack me up. Out of a team of 7 I have 2 contractors on the O&M side who could actually tell you what the network looks like.

deanwebb

wintermute000

Its ironic isn't it, its such a goldmine but its probably the most painful vertical ever, and populated by total luddites (in IT terms). They should have never let electricians configure a network because they could get their best-buy wifi 'router' up and running....  then there's all the awful 'protocols' designed to operate on no battery and 64kb RAM and other such limitations, yech

deanwebb

Painful vertical is correct... and so much of it has zero consideration for security, from the line devices on up to the controlling software.

deanwebb

TIL that in the USA, you can't run a mainframe in your residence and expect to get away with it, should it cause radio interference: https://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/oet/info/documents/bulletins/oet62/oet62rev.pdf

Otanx

TIL when configuring VXLAN don't map every vlan to a vni. By every vlan I mean 1 - 4094 minus 1002-1005. This prevents the system from building the dynamic vlan/vni entries it needs to support L3 over VXLAN.

-Otanx

deanwebb

TIL that there is a cool RADIUS stress-testing tool for around US $25 https://networkradius.com/radius-performance-testing/

THE PREVIOUS LINK WAS NOT A SPONSORED LINK AND IS PROVIDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY PLEASE DON'T REPORT ME TO THE ADMINS OR I WILL HAVE TO BAN MYSELF!!!

Otanx

Not even seeing the $25 looks like they are supplying it for free.

TIL that if you fat finger the SYN Flood protection on a Palo Alto firewall and set the activate value to 000 instead of 1000 it will activate flood protection on the first TCP SYN packet from each host on your network.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on June 16, 2021, 12:37:40 PM
Not even seeing the $25 looks like they are supplying it for free.

TIL that if you fat finger the SYN Flood protection on a Palo Alto firewall and set the activate value to 000 instead of 1000 it will activate flood protection on the first TCP SYN packet from each host on your network.

-Otanx

So instead of a SYN flood, you get a SYN desert! :lol: