(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowery

Congratulations on closing your new house! Hopefully your hand recovers before the first of endless projects!
QuoteYeah, right... and 96% of the Internet being dark and mysterious? How about 96% of the internet being Cisco web pages I can never find when I need them...

icecream-guy

more about Cisco ACI, in a 3 hour deep dive.

+ schwag...

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

config t

Quote from: config t on January 22, 2015, 08:01:05 PM
TIL..

..even if it doesn't first appear like it's a routing issue. It might still be a routing issue. Check. Everything.

TIL this again ^
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

TIL that there are times for detailed network diagrams and there are times for very generic diagrams. Know your audience before you fire up the Visio.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

burnyd

I am a third of the way done with the aci book its mkay.

deanwebb

TIL this topic has six pages, so it should be stickied.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

routerdork

TIL that I do way too much. Been at my job almost 7 months. I pulled a report on our ticketing. I have closed more in that short amount of time than the next closest person to me has in the last 2 years.  :zomgwtfbbq:
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

TIL that we need to start a round of meetings with four other departments about how NAC affects their stuff.

NAC means talking to EVERYONE in IT... EVERYONE...

wintermute000

fiberchannel. its like they wanted to be ethernet, but different, and more difficult. Because, just because. (or maybe my instructor's bias. LOL)

config t

TIL..

Dean, our security folks denied it for two days, but it WAS the firewall.  :problem?:
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Then they should all be fired. They have betrayed the code of the Security Guy.

:notthefirewall:

deanwebb

TIL that TACACS+ will work on some firewalls, but not on others, even though they're configured identically...

Nerm

TIL that an ISP will sell a customer a 150Mbps circuit when their own provided equipment maxes at 100Mbps.   :naughty:

routerdork

TIL...that IOU doesn't support any L2 QoS, only L3...after I built out the whole lab  :doh:
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

routerdork

Quote from: Nerm on March 06, 2015, 01:18:19 PM
TIL that an ISP will sell a customer a 150Mbps circuit when their own provided equipment maxes at 100Mbps.   :naughty:
I used to work at a small ISP and that was a heated topic. Sales saw fast revenue and that was it for them. Eventually a better pre-sales process was implemented that included capacity planning. They still squeaked some through from time-to-time.  :twisted: :angry: