(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

that1guy15

Quote from: routerdork on March 09, 2015, 04:14:01 PM
TIL...that IOU doesn't support any L2 QoS, only L3...after I built out the whole lab  :doh:
And that is why it was dropped from the CCIE. Its too platform/ASIC specific for IOU.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

routerdork

Quote from: that1guy15 on March 09, 2015, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: routerdork on March 09, 2015, 04:14:01 PM
TIL...that IOU doesn't support any L2 QoS, only L3...after I built out the whole lab  :doh:
And that is why it was dropped from the CCIE. Its too platform/ASIC specific for IOU.
That's what my QoS instructor said about the inclusion of switches into the training as well. We just did a refresh so I've got some 3560G/E/X's I can get my hands dirty with.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

Otanx

TIL... that if you enable MD5 authentication on a BGP peer that goes through an ASA it will break. Apparently not only does the ASA randomize sequence numbers, but it drops the MD5 option in the TCP packet. Quick modification to the firewall, and everything is working.

-Otanx

Reggle

TIL That a Watchguard is indeed as horrible as everyone always told me.

wintermute000

What exact fix did you apply otanx? Remove or apply an application inspect rule?

Otanx

I can't find the exact blog post that I used at work, but the one below is similar. You match bgp with a class map, and then set the options you need.

http://bocloud.blogspot.com/2013/04/special-bgp-configuration-on-asa.html

-Otanx

wintermute000

icecream-guy

TIL, when you are configuring redundant connectivity to ESX servers via a vPC, and when the port channels don't come up, but the ports are up, and the interfaces and port channels have the exact same configuration... make sure the ESX servers are in vCenter before you spend more than an hour troubleshooting why the port-channels will not com up no matter what.
:whistle:
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

TIL that our AD setup is... really... well... the nice way of putting it is, "interesting and full of exciting opportunities!" There's lots of security stuff that interfaces with user directories, so this is not a pleasant thing that IL T. Pleasant or not, though, I gotta make things work...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on March 20, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
TIL that our AD setup is... really... well... the nice way of putting it is, "interesting and full of exciting opportunities!" There's lots of security stuff that interfaces with user directories, so this is not a pleasant thing that IL T. Pleasant or not, though, I gotta make things work...

I don't think that is specific to your setup. AD is always interesting and full of exciting opportunities.

-Otanx

hizzo3

TIL that whitespace (space) is a valid password character that doesn't show up when doing a show run.
Spent the last week trying to understand why my PPP lab wasn't working when pasting in the given configuration.

Any tips on this one?

deanwebb

No tips on the password thing, other than to not use spaces in the future.

TIL that Java *still* sucks.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

TIL that using public IP addresses on the LAN automatically enables 6to4 tunneling on Windows clients, causing all sorts of funky DNS behaviour :)

Netwörkheäd

Wow, and you can't deactivate ipv6 on Windows unless you want disasters to happen. Wow...
Let's not argue. Let's network!

SimonV

Well, you can disable the 6to4 via GPOs which is what we're trying now