(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seittit

Seittit

TIL how to spin up Palo Alto 100 VM in VMware Workstation and integrate it into GNS3.

Sounds worthy of a video tut.

SimonV

Quote from: Seittit on January 27, 2015, 08:01:15 AM
TIL how to spin up Palo Alto 100 VM in VMware Workstation and integrate it into GNS3.

Sounds worthy of a video tut.

Hey, is there anyway to get our hands on a Demo version of the VM-100? Always liked working with the PA's but not using them at my current gig anymore. And they're too expensive to get lab units

deanwebb

TIL from a friend that when a UPS catches fire, it stays on fire until it's all burned out.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Seittit

Quote from: SimonV on January 27, 2015, 08:17:10 AM
Hey, is there anyway to get our hands on a Demo version of the VM-100?

Yes, there are two methods that I know of:

• purchase a lab license from CDW (about $600 per year(
  • Google for it

Seittit

TIL how to configure Layer 2 NetFlow on NX-OS.

The fact that I can't apply it per VLAN negates my need though, no desire to see all layer 2 traffic on a 40gig VPC.

javentre

Quote from: Seittit on January 27, 2015, 10:27:13 AM
TIL how to configure Layer 2 NetFlow on NX-OS.

The fact that I can't apply it per VLAN negates my need though, no desire to see all layer 2 traffic on a 40gig VPC.

It does sound like it's possible here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_nx_os_cli/sm_15netflow.html#wp1094178

QuoteConfiguring Layer 2 NetFlow

You can define Layer 2 keys in flexible NetFlow records that you can use to capture flows in Layer 2 interfaces. The Layer 2 keys are as follows:

•Source and destination MAC addresses

•Source VLAN ID

•EtherType from the Ethernet frame
[url="http://networking.ventrefamily.com"]http://networking.ventrefamily.com[/url]

Seittit

I may be reading this wrong, but it looks like I can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hizzo3

Quote from: deanwebb on January 27, 2015, 08:22:08 AM
TIL from a friend that when a UPS catches fire, it stays on fire until it's all burned out.
What's up with the fire lately? Was it a hacked UPS with car batteries?

deanwebb

No, it was a straight-up ADC UPS with the last battery popped into place.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

wintermute000

TIL that VIRL is licensed on a per install basis.

i.e. you are not technically supposed to run it on your laptop and your home ESXi, even if not @ the same time. I asked them explicitly and they said you have to uninstall one and only use the other.

It phones home, so not really game to push the boundaries.

B@stards.

hizzo3

I wonder if you can spoof it through a internal redirect

deanwebb

hizzo3

Building DRM into your software: $75,000
Being a Nazi on licensing for educational use: Free
Using the network to enforce DRM policies with a bunch of security minded network professionals that was easily spoofed: LMFAO

Seittit

Enabling Transparent Page Sharing is basically a deduplication of your RAM on multiple VMs running in ESX. Turning this knob allowed me to run 20 CSR1000v routers (at 2.5 GB RAM) on a 32 GB ESXi whitebox. In fact, they're only consuming 13 GB of RAM total!

To enable the TPS feature, go to Configuration tab > Advanced Settings (under Software) > Mem > Mem.AllocGuestLargePage > Change the value from 1 to 0. - See more at: http://networkjutsu.com/home-lab/ccie-rs-v5-home-lab/#sthash.jYVVnq3k.dpuf