(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

TIL that my air conditioner won't be able to be fixed until tomorrow.

I am now one night closer to getting Hilton Diamond level this year...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

Quote from: Otanx on July 21, 2017, 01:41:36 PM
TIL that 6500 VSS is a bigger mess than I thought. Do you want to upgrade firmware? We have this cool ISSU/eFSU thing that will let you upgrade one chassis/sup card at a time. Oh, you want to upgrade from 15.1 to 15.2? You can't use ISSU. Need to reboot both at the same time.

Tomorrow I Learn (TIL) how to break a VSS with minimal down time.

-Otanx

This is why I tell people go avoid VSS / stacks for anything that needs five nines uptime. Its all gravy until you need to upgrade, and/or when an upgrade or bug takes out the shared blast radius I mean control plane.
A colleague of mine watched foobar a VSS ISSU following step by step TAC instructions (TAC was on the line the whole time...) - took a hospital offline for 3 hours whilst they restored everything manually, the ISSU process wiped both sups on both chassis LOL. Mind you this was with first gen buggy VSS code, but the point stands. He has since then point blank refused to execute any VSS ISSU, always insists he needs a full reload and the short outage associated.

icecream-guy

Quote from: Otanx on July 21, 2017, 01:41:36 PM

Tomorrow I Learn (TIL) how to break a VSS with minimal down time.

-Otanx

:lol:, good luck with that one.... :rage:
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

icecream-guy

TIL (well yesterday) about Cisco FXOS

deanwebb

TIL about the TCP Finite State Model.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

well not today, but a few days ago I learned that if you use secureCRT...   back up the configs directory...  life sucks when you lose all your saved sites, button bars, custom configurations, etc...

deanwebb

TIL that working for a company on the day of its IPO entails rather a lot of official celebrating.

Me looking at my schedule for today:

:greatoffer:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on October 27, 2017, 08:34:28 AM
TIL that working for a company on the day of its IPO entails rather a lot of official celebrating.

Is that why IPO stocks always seem to go down after the IPO?

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on November 03, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on October 27, 2017, 08:34:28 AM

Is that why IPO stocks always seem to go down after the IPO?

No, not really... most of that has to do with general trends in investing, initial backers taking profits up front, stuff like that.

packetferret

TIL that I still had an account here.

deanwebb

Quote from: packetferret on November 20, 2017, 04:15:42 PM
TIL that I still had an account here.

I lol'd. :lol:

And you still remember the password. Either that, or your browser/password manager remembered it.

deanwebb

TIL that I'm going to learn more about Palo Alto integration with ForeScout CounterACT.

Also ServiceNow integration...

Also also SWIFT regulations...

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on November 28, 2017, 08:00:41 AM
TIL that I'm going to learn more about Palo Alto integration with ForeScout CounterACT.

Also ServiceNow integration...

Do write up a summary on those, We've got all three products.  That'd be interesting.

deanwebb

Yeah, that's what I have to do, eventually... write the best practices doc for CounterACT's integration with those two products.

LynK

Not today, but last friday.

I learned that the capwap tunneling on the 2800 series APs requires that you adjust the MTU (1300) because it is running click-os. Troubleshooting pretty much all day why web browsing worked in certain parts of the building and not in others when I could ping/trace-route. Kicking myself for not finding it when it screamed fragmentation.

My next step was to wireshark too...
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"