(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Kerberos!

OK, not really... just that it's something the AD guys set up and the rest of us turn on when the AD guys say it's ready.  :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

https://fy.blackhats.net.au/blog/html/2017/05/23/kerberos_why_the_world_moved_on.html
The sooner it dies the better, who the heck understands kerberos

deanwebb

Charlie knows Kerberos. He learned it from Pepe and Carol in HR. :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

config t

TIL auto-summarizing EIGRP can cause Null0 routes to turn up in the routing table for entire subnets.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Quote from: config t on March 31, 2020, 08:15:37 AM
TIL auto-summarizing EIGRP can cause Null0 routes to turn up in the routing table for entire subnets.

I bet that led to laughter and jolliment amongst your colleagues and superiors. :D

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on March 31, 2020, 11:00:00 AM

I bet that led to laughter and jolliment amongst your colleagues and superiors. :D

Unfortunately my colleagues had been troubleshooting that for days and I simply looked at it and spotted the problem. In retrospect, declaring "Routing 101 is in Session!" wasn't so appropriate.

deanwebb

Quote from: config t on March 31, 2020, 01:02:31 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on March 31, 2020, 11:00:00 AM

Unfortunately my colleagues had been troubleshooting that for days and I simply looked at it and spotted the problem. In retrospect, declaring "Routing 101 is in Session!" wasn't so appropriate.

config t

:meeseeks:

Meanwhile one of the junior guys says to me, "Man you are so smart." And I confidently reply, "Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence."  8)

icecream-guy

Stuck in ACTIVE is a goo thing?   nO? :greatoffer:
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Otanx

Quote from: config t on March 31, 2020, 01:31:12 PM
"Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence."

I am stealing that. Maybe even adding to my email signature line.

-Otanx

Otanx

It was last week, but need to brag.
TIL how to get PXE and Arista ZTP to both work in the same subnet. On Linux you can set the following in dhcpd.conf

if option vendor-class-identifier ~= "^Arista" {
  option tftp-server-name "IP_Address_of_tftp_server";
  option bootfile-name "arista-config.txt";
} else {
  option tftp-server-name "IP_Address_of_PXE_server";
  option bootfile-name "pxe_file_name";
}

When an Arista switch sends the Discover DHCP message it includes a vendor field that identifies it as an Arista, then the model, and serial number. What we are doing above is matching that field if it starts with Arista. If it matches set the tftp server IP, and the text file containing the Arista config we want to push that is on the tftp server. If it does not match send the normal PXE settings so the server guys stuff will keep working.

The Arista will download that file. If that file is an Arista config it saves it to startup-config, and reboots. You can also have it download a script to run instead, but I have not played with that.

-Otanx

config t

TIL our VTCs reach out to an external VCS before they can call point to point in the same subnet. I still need to learn exactly how the traffic flow works but adding the network to our inbound/outbound VTC rules fixed the problem.

deanwebb

TIL that not everyone in the world can add or subtract with ease.

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on April 08, 2020, 01:18:18 PM
TIL that not everyone in the world can add or subtract with ease.

This is probably a little harsh, but someone once said to a friend of mine, "Since this isn't working out, the world needs ditch diggers."

icecream-guy

TIL 2 hours maintenance windows at the customer request is not sufficient for any action
tried one this morning, and we ran late, extended an hour, got customer approval on success, and spent the day troubleshooting during production outage, and eventually rolled back.  this should have been a 12 hours late nigh maintenance window.  there was not enough time for troubleshoot and rollback even with the hour extension.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.