(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

config t

Really? Is that a hard rule or can you create a policy to allow ICMP from specific hosts/networks.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

Otanx

It is a hard rule. You can't access an ASA interface on the far side of where the packet came in. The only exception is for packets that come in on an IPSec tunnel terminated on the ASA. This also isn't just ICMP. Telnet, SSH, SNMP, etc. We have the same issue. Our health monitoring server is on a different interface than the backup server, and those are both different than our management clients. So DNS for our ASA resolves to the client interface, and we have host files on the servers that override and supply the IP of the closest interface. It is kind of stupid.

-Otanx

config t

Wow. I can only imagine how much time I would have wasted trying to figure that out if I ran into it in the field.

icecream-guy

Quote from: config t on April 04, 2021, 03:59:13 AM
Wow. I can only imagine how much time I would have wasted trying to figure that out if I ran into it in the field.
hours, only 2-3 in my case
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

wintermute000

LOL at a FW that can't act as a DNS proxy
anyway... here's a tricky, terrible hack-around for this: https://herdingpackets.net/2014/02/20/faking-an-asa-as-a-dns-forwarder/

config t

Quote from: ristau5741 on April 04, 2021, 07:00:42 AM
Quote from: config t on April 04, 2021, 03:59:13 AM
hours, only 2-3 in my case

And that was this time?  :XD:

deanwebb

TIL:

When considering a SPAN session, "Overruns" happen when there are too many packets to deal with. "Dropped" packets are IPv6 frames when the interface is not set up for IPv6, unintended VLAN tags, and similar ignored packets.

And because that came from another person who learned it today, LEARNCEPTION!!!!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on April 22, 2021, 08:42:32 AM
TIL:

When considering a SPAN session, "Overruns" happen when there are too many packets to deal with. "Dropped" packets are IPv6 frames when the interface is not set up for IPv6, unintended VLAN tags, and similar ignored packets.

And because that came from another person who learned it today, LEARNCEPTION!!!!

Like with our favorite Cisco ASA product,  where the interfaces listen to everything, and anything not destined for the firewall is considered "dropped"  e.g.  broadcasts etc.

wintermute000

Be careful, on some switch architectures dropping on the SPAN port = dropping on the actual port, exactly like blocking water coming out of an outlet

config t

TIL.. (or re-learned, not sure) TACLANEs won't form a security association (SA) until traffic is being generated on the Plain Text side by networks other than the Cipher and Plain text networks. Why? Because TACLANEs. It took eight of us 3 days of scratching our heads at perfectly configured hardware to figure that out. Apes Strong Together!

deanwebb

Quote from: config t on May 06, 2021, 11:13:10 AM
TIL.. (or re-learned, not sure) TACLANEs won't form a security association (SA) until traffic is being generated on the Plain Text side by networks other than the Cipher and Plain text networks. Why? Because TACLANEs. It took eight of us 3 days of scratching our heads at perfectly configured hardware to figure that out. Apes Strong Together!

:developers:
TACLANEs!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

The thing with TACLANEs you need to remember is they are just IPSec tunnel devices that use very special keys. You are correct they will not build an SA without interesting traffic. Also the PT interface needs to be up/up.

-Otanx

config t

Well said. I actually paraphrased that in my issue/resolution recap.

Another thing to remember about TACLANEs is there is a ton of stuff we need to remember about TACLANEs  :XD:

Otanx

Yep, a good COMSEC guy is worth their weight in gold. It is a very specific skill set that is only used in government so many people don't want to deal with it. I was so happy when my last day of COMSEC came, and I got to debrief.

-Otanx

icecream-guy

TIL 

Not following SOP is considered non-compliance
non-compliance is considered insubordination
insubordination is cause for dismissal.

C:-)

(I didn't learn the hard way)