(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

TIL that there is a lot about BGP that I do not know.  :glitch:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: SofaKing on May 26, 2015, 11:18:30 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on May 25, 2015, 07:05:06 PM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on May 25, 2015, 11:21:40 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on April 28, 2015, 10:36:17 AM
TIL that I've been filling out my timecard all wrong.  :-\

Timecard?  I thought it was a base requirement to enslave an engineer with a salary! ;)
We fill out our time allocation so that the higher-ups can determine if we're allocated properly, or if they need to allocate more resources.

We do the same at my company.  This way the business knows which department to bill for our services.  I work for a large retail company and IT does not create revenue(even though the business can't run without us) so we have to get our funds from somewhere ;)

Yeah... I used to do this too as a subcontractor...
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

icecream-guy

TIL how to configure CIMC on a Cisco C220 series server
(note to future self, do not use the same IP for the server and for the CIMC configuration)
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Mowery

Quote from: ristau5741 on May 27, 2015, 12:12:55 PM
(note to future self, do not use the same IP for the server and for the CIMC configuration)

CIMC has saved my bacon more than once.
QuoteYeah, right... and 96% of the Internet being dark and mysterious? How about 96% of the internet being Cisco web pages I can never find when I need them...

SimonV

TIL that when learning the same (external) prefixes in different OSPF processes, the cost is not the differentiator  :wall:

wintermute000

do elaborate? I would assume the costs are irrelevant as they fight it out in different OSPF DBs, so it would come down to administrative distance and if equal, route will load balance?

SimonV

AD was the same for both processes, and it was actually the lowest process number that won. I would have guessed the cost. But we ended up increasing the AD on one process which fixed the issue

http://lostintransit.se/2013/03/15/tiebreakers-with-routes-from-different-ospf-processes/

wintermute000

SimonV

I'm sure it will be on the TS lab!! :)

mmcgurty

Quote from: Mowery on June 01, 2015, 12:29:13 PM

Do you guys know if you can setup the CIMC on a Cisco C240 M3 if it has never been setup without taking down the server?

icecream-guy

Quote from: mmcgurty on June 17, 2015, 07:03:22 AM

Do you guys know if you can setup the CIMC on a Cisco C240 M3 if it has never been setup without taking down the server?

You will need to reboot the server and enter the CIMC configuration utility to setup CIMC.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Mowery

Quote from: ristau5741 on June 17, 2015, 07:20:23 AM
Quote from: mmcgurty on June 17, 2015, 07:03:22 AM

You will need to reboot the server and enter the CIMC configuration utility to setup CIMC.

It would be really handy if CIMC would pick up a DHCP address so you could set i up later, in case you forgot. I know I have missed it once or twice, and sometimes taking the server down isn't an option during the day.
QuoteYeah, right... and 96% of the Internet being dark and mysterious? How about 96% of the internet being Cisco web pages I can never find when I need them...

deanwebb

TIL that having two VMs with the same MAC address and same IP address can cause problems on the network when trying to reach said IP address.

SimonV