(TIL) Today I Learned...

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

I fell bass-ackward into this position, almost, and I enjoy it greatly.

:awesome:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

routerdork

TIL how to configure a VPN tunnel on a Juniper SRX.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

SimonV

Quote from: routerdork on March 08, 2016, 01:14:43 PM

So, how was the experience? CLI or web interface?

routerdork

Quote from: SimonV on March 08, 2016, 01:25:12 PM
Quote from: routerdork on March 08, 2016, 01:14:43 PM

So, how was the experience? CLI or web interface?
CLI, I didn't know there was a web interface until my customer sent screenshots of their config. I didn't mind it. I've done some work on the EX series switches in the past so knowing the syntax requirements helped. I can't say that I like the way Juniper is configured (seemed confusing to me) but I also have spent 99% of my tunnel time on ASA/PIX models. So it was a good training.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

icecream-guy

Who the he77 builds racks and puts rack power supply on/off buttons on the back of the rack, where on a normal rack the door opening handle resides???
Couldn't open the back of the rack, lifted up the little cover to stick my finder in to unlatch the door and well. you can guess the rest. Luckily it was only monitoring gear.

TIL how to read labels, and how to spatchcock a chicken.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

TIL that formal policies on incident management mean zero to the group with the emergency, and everything to the group that will resolve that emergency.

I've learned it before, but the lesson is once again fresh in my mind after a device had a kernel panic, dumped memory, and told Vcenter to cancel all its resource reservations.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

scottsee

I could post here every day!

Teaming is an optional install feature on Qlogic Extreme 10gb nic drivers, not installed by default.. Shamefully I had to call support, didn't feel bad when it took them over a hour to figure that out.
scott see

deanwebb

TIL I need to amend my 2015 return... after I already got my refund... yeeesh...

wintermute000

TIL how to configure a SPF record in DNS and also how to enable SPF checks in postfix.

Also, it's possible to coincidentally power off your VPS RIGHT BEFORE your provider suffers an unscheduled outage to their global control panel, so you can't even get back in to turn it back on. interestingly this implies a single point of failure for management despite how many availability zones you scale out **cough digitalocean cough**

Otanx

Because of wintermute TIL about SPF, and how to deploy it (I even read the entire RFC). Now I have to decide if I want to bring this up at an engineering meeting next week.

-Otanx

wintermute000

Since turning SPF checking on my spam rate has gone from 4-5 a day to 1-2.
Spamassassin tags most of the 1-2 so problem is mostly solved :)

I daresay one of our fellow members who just happens to have a truckload of Exchange XP from the noughties knows a lot more about this than me...

deanwebb

Ayup. You want that there SPF turned on. :)

That way, you don't get spam from spoofed addresses, just from offshore spam servers, and those tend to be well-known.

scottsee

how to get a prescription for adderall  :eek: :eek: :eek:
scott see

deanwebb

TIL how to do a snoop command on a Juniper SSG firewall.

http://movingpackets.net/2015/01/26/netscreen-packet-capture-snoop/

Fun stuff, especially since it helps me prove...

:notthefirewall:

SimonV

Does that work for transit traffic, or only for packets directed at the FW?