Main Menu

Keyboards

Started by SimonV, February 18, 2016, 01:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonV

Busted another keyboard when going lab-crazy so it's time that time of the year again, ordering a new keyboard. I've been using Cherry Stream XT keyboards for the last few years. They are sleak and silent but obviously they are not built for power-users. This is already my third one so I was thinking, since most of my time is spent on the CLI, it might be better to cough up a bit more for a decent "professional" keyboard.

I was reading up this morning and it looks like a mechanical keyboard is what I need. Are any of you using high-end keyboards, or just using consumer stuff? 

deanwebb

I use the one that came with my laptop. Or desktop.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Reggle

Consumer-grade: laptop keyboard. A very crappy one at that. It regularly doesn't register a key-press.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

At home I have an old Logitech G15 that I love, and fear the day it stops working. At work I have a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. No problems with either one.

-Otanx

Uh-Oh

I've been using a Rosewill RK9000v2. It's a "budget" mechanical keyboard with cherry switches. It's pretty well built. I don't like the detachable cable but I planned to hardwire it after the inevitable happened. Somehow it's held up much better than I expected so the mod hasn't happened yet. Overall it's alright for a cheap mechanical with cherries.

Dieselboy

Quote from: deanwebb on February 18, 2016, 02:34:45 PM
What I WANT is this:

That is beautiful.

I have my old desktop PC behind my TV in the living room. I need a bluetooth dongle, keyboard and mouse so I can use the computer from the sofa. Are those keyboards with integrated mice any good? I don't really want to spend $100 or $200 on a keyboard.

TheGreatDoc

Im using a Dell keyboard for years now. They are fucking hard.
a.k.a. Daniel.
I dont have any cert, just learned all by my self.

icecream-guy

I want a vertical keyboard but I'm afraid that I wont be able to type and it'll be a waste of money.
supposed to be easier on the wrists and avoid the carpel tunnel syndrome

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Best for carpal tunnel is to hire someone else to do the typing for you.

that1guy15

Microsoft comfort curve keyboard 2000
https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/comfort-curve-keyboard-2000

I have two. One of them is what I used throughout my whole CCIE process and its still going strong. Im a light typer normally but once i get inside a terminal or CLI I start typing really hard. Not sure why...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

routerdork

Quote from: that1guy15 on February 19, 2016, 08:43:47 AM

I have two. One of them is what I used throughout my whole CCIE process and its still going strong. Im a light typer normally but once i get inside a terminal or CLI I start typing really hard. Not sure why...
Probably because you have Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" playing in the background....but who am I to judge  :rock:
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

that1guy15

Quote from: routerdork on February 19, 2016, 08:49:18 AM

Probably because you have Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" playing in the background....but who am I to judge  :rock:
Ha! Now days its usually the screaming of three little kids with the subtle sound of Frozen playing in the background.

Nothing like it to get the alcohol boiling in your blood stream...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

mmcgurty

Quote from: Otanx on February 18, 2016, 04:46:05 PM
At home I have an old Logitech G15 that I love, and fear the day it stops working. At work I have a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. No problems with either one.

-Otanx

I have the same one and I fear the same.  I have no idea what I would replace it with these days.  Seems every keyboard has a color of key switches to pick from.  I have no idea what any of them mean.

Reggle

Quote from: that1guy15 on February 19, 2016, 10:03:51 AM
Quote from: routerdork on February 19, 2016, 08:49:18 AM

Ha! Now days its usually the screaming of three little kids with the subtle sound of Frozen playing in the background.

Nothing like it to get the alcohol boiling in your blood stream...
OMG! I thought I was the only one with the screaming and Frozen!