Dhcp on Cisco 1242 ap.

Started by chamjisky, February 25, 2016, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chamjisky

Hi
I have cisco 1242ap can i configure dhcp server on it?

Web ui doesn't shows any options for dhcp.
However if I configure a dhcp pool using cli it does hands outs ip to a pc connected to its only Lan port. But no ip is given to clients connecting via wireless ssid broadcasted via it.

All in Sigle vlan.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

routerdork

Probably not the greatest way to do things. Did you google it? I would imagine this is something not seen or done often.
I would think if the AP takes it and hands out an IP then you would just need to make sure that the BVI IP and the DHCP scope are in the same subnet.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

chamjisky

Quote from: routerdork on February 25, 2016, 12:09:09 PM
Probably not the greatest way to do things. Did you google it? I would imagine this is something not seen or done often.
I would think if the AP takes it and hands out an IP then you would just need to make sure that the BVI IP and the DHCP scope are in the same subnet.
Googled it but couldn't find a refrencee to someone using it in standalone mode with dhcp on it.

But again using cli I was able to configure dhcp scope and plan clients would get ip but wifi clients won't..

So if I assign bvi interface ip from same subnet as dhcp scope then would it hand out ip address?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

routerdork

I'm just guessing at the BVI. Might be best to just post your config. I found a lot of results when I searched like this http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/network-technologies/how-to-configure-a-dhcp-server-in-a-cisco-aironet-access-points/
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

icecream-guy

What is the AP connected to?   Probably a switch or a router? you could put the DHCP server on there.
I do this at home,  DHCP server configured on the 3550-24, in a separate VLAN, where AP is connected.
My wireless devices get IPs just fine.

for security:
inbound ACL on my wireless VLAN SVI blocks wireless device access to all local networks allowing only internet access,
so if someone associates with my AP, they only have internet access.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.