icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on September 23, 2016, 09:09:32 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on September 23, 2016, 08:19:44 AM
Also hello. :D

Feliz Cumpleaños El Santo

Indeed. And his movies are on YouTube! No subtitles, but you don't need subtitles for Lucha Libre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNSsqXTWHE4, go to 36:26 and enjoy a little of his fighting style. Fun fact: in the movie, there's a murder investigation. They call Santo for help. He says he'll swing by, right after he finishes his wrestling match. Everyone's cool with that. Murder investigations can wait.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

Y mas de Santo, con the guy in my avatar... classic warehouse bench-clearing brawl. https://youtu.be/Wk7E-XJ943o?t=45m41s
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deocrism

Hey guys, currently living in Australia and have just started my path down the IT world, so I've only taken the first few steps towards becoming a network engineer!
Throw me all your advice for complete beginners!

deanwebb

Quote from: deocrism on November 05, 2016, 03:25:40 AM
Hey guys, currently living in Australia and have just started my path down the IT world, so I've only taken the first few steps towards becoming a network engineer!

Of the world's 10 most poisonous IP ranges, 8 of them are in Australia. Be careful! :)

Best thing to do is to ask questions and to try to find answers to the questions of others. If you're wondering about specialization, read up some on each area. When you catch yourself reading about a topic more than others because you're interested in it, that's what you want to specialize in.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deocrism on November 05, 2016, 03:25:40 AM

Welcome aboard.   it's all very simple.  it's all electrical signals, either on (1) or off (0), in groups of 4.

PackersPride

Hello everyone! I joined the community yesterday as I am looking to break into the Network Engineer field.  I have been in IT for years now bouncing between Windows Systems Administration, IT Security with emphasis on PCI Compliance.  Now I am looking to get into the network side if the house.  I look forward to becoming an active member here.  I am starting my journey by studying to become CCNA certified.

Thank you!

deanwebb

Quote from: PackersPride on November 10, 2016, 08:05:45 AM
Hello everyone! I joined the community yesterday as I am looking to break into the Network Engineer field.  I have been in IT for years now bouncing between Windows Systems Administration, IT Security with emphasis on PCI Compliance.  Now I am looking to get into the network side if the house.  I look forward to becoming an active member here.  I am starting my journey by studying to become CCNA certified.

Thank you!

Let me guess... by your username and avatar, you must be from Cleveland. Am I right? :D

Welcome aboard, I'm a former sysadmin that made the jump, so I've walked a similar path. CCNA is a great first step. We're ready to help with any questions you have about labbing, finer points of the tech, etc. I'm working on a set of basic-level questions that I plan to post in the near future to help supplement the official cert guides and stuff.

that1guy15

That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Hunterman1043

Greetings all! I'm a game developer who has struck out in the gaming industry looking for better employment. For a couple indie projects, I've been the "IT guy" whose had to deal with setting up and managing our repo and web server that I self-host. Basically, I've had to wear many hats from a systems architect to a sysadmin to game dev over the last few months and in doing so has forced me to fall in love with bash. I have programming experience in C++ as well as a slew of web languages. Recently I picked up Python and PowerShell. I also have an intermediary knowledge of projects like Docker, Apache, SVN, etc in regards to Ubuntu. For a little bit more about me, I'm very interested in server hardware and love to tinker with computers in my spare time. I graduated from the University of Texas at Dallas with a BA in ATEC (Arts and Technology) a year and some change ago. I have cats and dogs. I know DeanWebb in person and grew up here in Dallas, TX. lol

I'm researching what the best course of action for me that I should take... Dean suggested the CCNA certification which looks promising. I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all and start my long journey as an IT professional.

deanwebb

Welcome aboard, Hunterman!

Good to see you here!

icecream-guy

if you are a programmer, you might want to look into puppet, chef or ansible. They me be right up your alley for networking,  you surely wouldn't be with job opportunities.

welcome aboard.

Hunterman1043

Quote from: ristau5741 on February 02, 2017, 12:32:50 PM
if you are a programmer, you might want to look into puppet, chef or ansible. They me be right up your alley for networking,  you surely wouldn't be with job opportunities.

welcome aboard.

In the game industry my particular skillset would be categorized as being a "Technical Artist." I'm basically a tool builder for pipeline automation and I also have an art background for texturing/material development which plays into the math for physically based stuff.  I'm also an unreal engine guru so that knowledge comes in handy a lot. Tho ya recently I've been doing a lot more programming than art. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've heard of puppet and chef before but haven't had a chance to check them out.

deanwebb

Puppet, chef, ansible, those are all for software-driven provisioning of servers, network gear, and the like. They are great for automating things.