New Member Introductions Thread

Started by deanwebb, January 03, 2015, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

I split out the tmux & vim messages into another thread, trying to keep this thread clean for new member intros,
the thread is still in this forum. see tmux & vim
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

hasmat17

Good day all.  I joined just a day or so ago.

I've been in IT, at least part time, since DOS and NT Server 3.5 days, but I really 'cut my teeth' on Windows/Server 2000.  Mainly did desktop stuff back then, as IT was a part time gig - I was primarily a bookkeeper/accountant, but was learning on the fly because it came to me easily and whatever I could do saved my employer HUGE bucks that they paid contractors.  Went full-time IT around 2000 - yep, around the time the tech bubble burst.

Anyway - I've spent the better part of 17 years as a generalist - good at a lot, master of none.  I've always enjoyed the network side of things, but I've never had much of a complex network to manage.  All my networks were pretty static - just a handful of routes or a handful of VLANs.  Never much more than that.

My career is actually heading down the InfoSec road - but a veteran InfoSec person I follow made the statement, that to protect a network, you need to really understand the network.
So I'm here to learn, and hopefully one day contribute.

deanwebb

Welcome aboard, O fellow security guy!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

saniasalenga

Hi, everyone! It's been a while since I've been on forums and I'm happy that this time, I'll be on a forum where I can grow my career in networking. I'm Sania and a graduating student of BS in Electronics Engineering. ICT is a part of our curriculum and it focuses on CISCO. I believe that the knowledge in networking is very important in our growing technology nowadays. I'm hoping to learn a lot from your opinions and help and to be professionals like you someday. Nice to meet you all. Thank you!

icecream-guy

Quote from: saniasalenga on February 14, 2017, 08:05:31 AM
Hi, everyone! It's been a while since I've been on forums and I'm happy that this time, I'll be on a forum where I can grow my career in networking. I'm Sania and a graduating student of BS in Electronics Engineering. ICT is a part of our curriculum and it focuses on CISCO. I believe that the knowledge in networking is very important in our growing technology nowadays. I'm hoping to learn a lot from your opinions and help and to be professionals like you someday. Nice to meet you all. Thank you!

Welcome Aboard!!!

deanwebb

Hello Sania, and welcome aboard. We are building out our CCNA guides, so you have arrived at a very good time!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

chirpy_pete

Hello,

I thought i'd introduce myself. I'm new to this site. I was on the *other* site under a different username before it went down the drain.

I've worked in enterprise VOIP implementations for the last 12 years. I'm looking to retrain and do wireless networking. I have a valid CCNA R&S so will be picking up CWTS to get some basics before doing CCNA Wireless and CWNA. Then i'll look to see if there are any entry level jobs in the UK.

Thanks for having me and i'm looking forward to being part of the community

deanwebb

Hello chirpy_pete, and welcome to the forumS.

Wireless is some crazy fun stuff and if you need any help with RADIUS, I'm your man.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on February 20, 2017, 08:25:14 AM
Hello chirpy_pete, and welcome to the forumS.

Wireless is some crazy fun stuff and if you need any help with RADIUS, I'm your man.

if you pm deanwebb your old username, he will probably adjust your post count to what is was on that other site.

welcome back anyhoo.

deanwebb

It's true, I do. We will grandfather in post counts from our ancestor boards.

Spikerocks101

Hello. My name is Tim. I always find introduction threads hard, cause I either say to little or say to much. I work at a small tech company in Canada, and they asked me to start doing some research towards networking. I love to learn what you guys have to say, but I know some stuff about different subjects (like 70v sound systems, vsat dishes, and 3g/4g internet), so hopefully I can help contribute to things too! I got into tech by wanting to make my own video games, so I learned how to program and made a few games, and now do it not just for fun but for work too. Thanks, Tim.

deanwebb

Quote from: Spikerocks101 on March 10, 2017, 11:50:05 AM
Hello. My name is Tim. I always find introduction threads hard, cause I either say to little or say to much. I work at a small tech company in Canada, and they asked me to start doing some research towards networking. I love to learn what you guys have to say, but I know some stuff about different subjects (like 70v sound systems, vsat dishes, and 3g/4g internet), so hopefully I can help contribute to things too! I got into tech by wanting to make my own video games, so I learned how to program and made a few games, and now do it not just for fun but for work too. Thanks, Tim.

Hello, Tim. It's hard to say too much on this forum, so cheers to you! :cheers:

We'll be very happy to help advise you in all kinds of things. You do all you can, and we can help you to close the gaps where your knowledge runs short.

ced4092000

Hey everyone! My name is Ced. I've worked in I.T. for 10 + years. I would really like to become a network engineer but I'm having trouble getting my foot in the door. Right now I have my CCNA R&S and CCNA Collaboration. Although I don't use my certification experience nowhere near as much as I would like I still do my best to keep myself acquainted with routers, switches, and IP Phones. I have great work ethics, attitude, aptitude, and I really enjoy IT. I would like to hear from you seasoned vets out there. What applications does a Network Engineer interface with on a day to day basis? How did you transition into the Network Engineering or Administrative role? Was it difficult to get your foot in the door? Did you feel green in your first weeks or a months in your new role or did you walk in knowing more than half of what the job required? Great to be apart of this forum. Hope to hear from someone soon!

icecream-guy

Quote from: ced4092000 on March 27, 2017, 10:46:40 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Ced. I've worked in I.T. for 10 + years. I would really like to become a network engineer but I'm having trouble getting my foot in the door. Right now I have my CCNA R&S and CCNA Collaboration. Although I don't use my certification experience nowhere near as much as I would like I still do my best to keep myself acquainted with routers, switches, and IP Phones. I have great work ethics, attitude, aptitude, and I really enjoy IT. I would like to hear from you seasoned vets out there. What applications does a Network Engineer interface with on a day to day basis? How did you transition into the Network Engineering or Administrative role? Was it difficult to get your foot in the door? Did you feel green in your first weeks or a months in your new role or did you walk in knowing more than half of what the job required? Great to be apart of this forum. Hope to hear from someone soon!

Welcome Aboard.   it's all about positioning yourself to move forward.   back in the late 80's I was a tape hanger  (Tape Librarian for Mainframe backups)

I had the opportunity to take some shifts at the operations console, running the mainframe backups, more and more shifts and eventually I got that gig full time. being in mainframe operations at night. I'd come in to work around 4PM, in my spare time I'd work on fixing some of the company's pc's in my free time. that worked out so well, that became my full time gig, doing pc repair eventually involves network cards and servers, so as I was getting out of the pc repair and into the Help Desk role supporting applications, from there issues were not always pc related, more and more, servers would be getting involved, so that brought me into a server administration role.  servers are connected to hubs and switches. so I started doing some networking, cabling at first then adding and configuring new switches on the network. eventually started to address some of problems on the network,  came up with some solutions to re-engineer the network to address those problems. a few years of that and I took on a full time role as a network engineer. been doing that for like 10 years now.

deanwebb

Quote from: ced4092000 on March 27, 2017, 10:46:40 PM

Hello, Ced!

You say you've done IT for 10+ years. What area of IT were those 10 years in? I had 7 years of desktop support, sysadmin work, and some networking. I did teaching for 11 years and came back to IT with the intention of doing pure networking. Taking a small role at a small firm got me a job that listed as pure networking and then recruiters acted on that information like piranhas on an American tourist.

As for green vs. knowing... the answer is yes. There are aspects of the job that are constantly changing, demanding that we constantly learn them to keep up. Scripting is a huge example of that. 4 years ago, we all wondered what SDN was. Now we know, and we fear it no more. (IE: Developers are NOT going to take over networking, which is a good thing, given what developers normally do when they set up the network: :developers: )