New Member Introductions Thread

Started by deanwebb, January 03, 2015, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ced4092000

Hey ristau5741 & deanwebb!

I really appreciate the advice you two have given me! I see from reading ristau5741's response that maybe I am a little too passive with moving forward. It's great to hear from someone who started off from the bottom and paved their own way to a respectable title like you two guys. Deanwebb to answer your question - I started off doing helpdesk support at an oil&gas company in midsized town. I did that for about 9 years and to be honest I probably should have left way sooner for the purpose of experience and growing. I worked with CUCM doing moves, adds, and changes; I also did basic troubleshooting, and more junior administrative tasks towards the end of my 9 years with the company. Today I do a lot more administrative tasks but I really want to get more into the Network Engineering side. I've been working for the new company I'm with for a few years now. I've asked some of the Network Engineers here if they could give me more Routing, Switching, and IP Phone responsibility but all I received were dry responses. It makes me feel better knowing that you started off in the Networking area of IT feeling green but having the confidence to prove yourself.

Lately I've been feeling the urge to apply for Network Engineering type of positions. I feel like I know 35-40% of what they are requiring but I'm sure I could shoot up to 80% of knowing the job in a matter months. If you were me would you go for it or would you wait until you were familiar with everything that the job required of you? Thanks again guys!

deanwebb

Go for it, absolutely, and be honest about what you don't know. Say with a smile that you'd like to learn more about that tech. For some firms, that's not a good fit, and you don't want those jobs. Where it's a good fit, you'll be glad you took an opportunity to work with an employer that would let you learn that stuff on the job.

Going for a smaller company may be what you need to do in order to get some exposure in an area. Then, once it's on your resume, you can go do that work for the big boys.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: ced4092000 on March 31, 2017, 01:07:03 PM

Lately I've been feeling the urge to apply for Network Engineering type of positions. I feel like I know 35-40% of what they are requiring but I'm sure I could shoot up to 80% of knowing the job in a matter months. If you were me would you go for it or would you wait until you were familiar with everything that the job required of you? Thanks again guys!

you can't be familiar with everything about the job there is too much, and very different technologies,  I do Cisco, others Juniper, or Arista, I know R&S others Voice, Wireless, Collaboration, some deal in the UCS end, others VMWare,  there's storage too. different companies use different technologies.
if you become familiar with the general stuff like tcp dump or wireshark, Linux,  the general tech that's the same across the board. OSI Model, you should fine, and go for the jobs if nothing else you'll get interviewing experience.   a cert would help you get a foot in the door, Cisco CCNA is most popular.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

eaadams

Hey guys, only just found out about networking-forumSSSSS from young Mr Dieselboy! So here I am, again. Thought I'd retired two years ago so became quiet over on that other *cough* forum. But it seems that in a small town of ~2M peeps there's always a call for network trainers, university tutors, etc, and Cisco Press/Pearson Ed are still sending tech editing projects my way; so I guess I'm coming back into the fold, with the same username and all.
cheers
Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

deanwebb

Quote from: eaadams on April 03, 2017, 10:28:27 AM
Hey guys, only just found out about networking-forumSSSSS from young Mr Dieselboy! So here I am, again. Thought I'd retired two years ago so became quiet over on that other *cough* forum. But it seems that in a small town of ~2M peeps there's always a call for network trainers, university tutors, etc, and Cisco Press/Pearson Ed are still sending tech editing projects my way; so I guess I'm coming back into the fold, with the same username and all.
cheers
Aubrey

Welcome aboard, good sir! Hail and well met!

Even our smileys are ready for networking: :matrix:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

Quote from: eaadams on April 03, 2017, 10:28:27 AM
cheers
Aubrey

Welcome Back Aubrey.  I went ahead and looked it up, you got posting credits from that other site.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

eaadams

Why, thank you very much!  :pub: Just like old times, with that quick climb up the ranks I guess I'm expected to contribute some wisdom ...  8)
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

LynK

Yooo aubrey!

Help me out will ya. I keep getting this weird message in my logs:

10 × 4 - 2 × (4² ÷ 4) ÷ 2 ÷ 1/2 + 9 - 10^4(128^2) = ???
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

deanwebb

Quote from: eaadams on April 03, 2017, 10:50:03 AM
Why, thank you very much!  :pub: Just like old times, with that quick climb up the ranks I guess I'm expected to contribute some wisdom ...  8)
Why, yes, yes you are!

Out thanks in advance:

:applause:

DuneTroop

Hello all! I found this forum while Googling for others who work in networking and lurked for a while 'til I felt secure in creating an account. I've been in IT about 10 years including some time in the military. Now I work for a company doing more networking and building upon my experience always working towards becoming a better network engineer. Thanks for letting me join! 

deanwebb

Quote from: DuneTroop on May 30, 2017, 09:33:14 AM
Hello all! I found this forum while Googling for others who work in networking and lurked for a while 'til I felt secure in creating an account. I've been in IT about 10 years including some time in the military. Now I work for a company doing more networking and building upon my experience always working towards becoming a better network engineer. Thanks for letting me join! 

Hello and welcome! We're always glad to have more questions, more answers, and more complaints about DBAs and developers!

pnekal

I am Pathy, I have been in IT for over 5 years. I have been in and out in Networking. I had my ccent in 2012, but it expired in 2015. I want to renew my ccent certificate and get more network security and experience. I found this forum in Google and i am glad to be part of it.

deanwebb

Quote from: pnekal on August 21, 2017, 06:17:30 PM
I am Pathy, I have been in IT for over 5 years. I have been in and out in Networking. I had my ccent in 2012, but it expired in 2015. I want to renew my ccent certificate and get more network security and experience. I found this forum in Google and i am glad to be part of it.

Glad to have you, you will want to take a look at our study questions for the CCENT exam for sure. Feel free to ask more questions to help your study out, we are here to help.

saraal

Hello all,
As many before me I came across this forum in google and I am glad to be part of it. I had my ccna 5 years ago and was preparing for CCNP exam but then I got a job as DBA :), now I ready to renew my ccna certificate, get some more experience and hopefully transition to a network engineering job!

deanwebb

Quote from: saraal on August 24, 2017, 06:33:28 PM
Hello all,
As many before me I came across this forum in google and I am glad to be part of it. I had my ccna 5 years ago and was preparing for CCNP exam but then I got a job as DBA :), now I ready to renew my ccna certificate, get some more experience and hopefully transition to a network engineering job!

Hello and welcome to the forums!