Sukhino Bhava

would that be a correct response?

Welcome aboard 666
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: 666 on December 21, 2017, 11:24:39 PM
Namaste from India.

Namaste, yaar! Welcome to Networking-Forums.com! Main bilkul filmi hain, as you can see from at least one of the smileys we have here:

:bole:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

awking1987

My name is Andrew and I don't have any professional networking experience.  I did 6 years in the AF and since separating I've been trying to get into the IT field.  Always loved computers but networking is really where my passion stuck.  Due to some life events I'm not as far knowledge wise as I would like to be.  I'm currently studying for my Network+ cert but plan on going through Cisco for Routing and Switching as I love communication between devices and how it all works.  I saw that many of the people on here have years of experience so I hope I can learn and get advice from all that experience and pay it forward as I get experience.  I currently work for a software company doing tech support.

deanwebb

Hello Andrew!

We all started somewhere, and that's part of what this forum is for: getting a good start in networking.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

Quote from: awking1987 on January 31, 2018, 01:48:05 PM
My name is Andrew and I don't have any professional networking experience.  I did 6 years in the AF and since separating I've been trying to get into the IT field.  Always loved computers but networking is really where my passion stuck.  Due to some life events I'm not as far knowledge wise as I would like to be.  I'm currently studying for my Network+ cert but plan on going through Cisco for Routing and Switching as I love communication between devices and how it all works.  I saw that many of the people on here have years of experience so I hope I can learn and get advice from all that experience and pay it forward as I get experience.  I currently work for a software company doing tech support.

Welcome aboard.  networking isn't too difficult, just lots of math and some electronics. Getting your foot in the door can be difficult, but once you are in, your are GTG.  Many have to started off on a low paying 3rd shift NOC position just to get their feet wet, but that's ok for the short term. Then it's all about your motivation to drive yourself where you want to be.

Think about a bank of 4 light switches on your wall, one for the kitchen,  dining room, hallway, and foyer. You can turn lights on in various ways to meet your lighting needs.  There would be 16 different lighting patterns, combinations from all off to all on. (consider each switch a bit in binary). That's pretty much the basis for everything in our biz, 'cept we have another bank of light switches to play with. That would provide 8 switches (or bits) to make a Byte.

kannies

Stumbled across this forum and felt a bit of nostalgia as I saw some of the same usernames from Steve's old forum so thought I would sign up.
Bit about me, i'm from the UK, been in Networking since 2007 (Been in IT since 2001 if you count my student & intern years).
Currently working in the Enterprise arm of an ISP in a customer facing consultancy role.
The "system" tried to tame me by getting me to be a pen pusher but I have refused to let my hard earned skills from over the years atrophy and I still take any opportunity I can to get onto a good old CLI.
Currently trying to teach myself Python on the side. I have dabbled slightly in Bash/Perl scripting over the years and find the recent industry momentum in this space quite exciting.

icecream-guy

Quote from: kannies on March 09, 2018, 09:21:08 AM
Stumbled across this forum and felt a bit of nostalgia as I saw some of the same usernames from Steve's old forum so thought I would sign up.
Bit about me, i'm from the UK, been in Networking since 2007 (Been in IT since 2001 if you count my student & intern years).
Currently working in the Enterprise arm of an ISP in a customer facing consultancy role.
The "system" tried to tame me by getting me to be a pen pusher but I have refused to let my hard earned skills from over the years atrophy and I still take any opportunity I can to get onto a good old CLI.
Currently trying to teach myself Python on the side. I have dabbled slightly in Bash/Perl scripting over the years and find the recent industry momentum in this space quite exciting.

Welcome back,  we've been here since the ownership change.  If I still had a login there, I'd reset your post count to what it was. (we do that here to recognize the old forum members.)

got it,
1212 post credit given.

SimonV

Welcome back, sir. Same nickname on the old forum?

deanwebb

Quote from: kannies on March 09, 2018, 09:21:08 AM

Always great when a veteran joins the camp! Welcome aboard and welcome back! :awesome:

dhacker

Hey guys! You can call me Hacker, I'm new to the idea of networking and have become very interested in this skill. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a total beginner, with no networking or computer skills, to learn what it would take to become a "Network Engineer"? My goal is to learn everything i need to know about networking with a focus on "Routing and Switching". (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Routing and Switching).

Thanks everyone and I'm looking foreword to your responses!

deanwebb

Quote from: dhacker on April 07, 2018, 10:33:27 PM
Hey guys! You can call me Hacker, I'm new to the idea of networking and have become very interested in this skill. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a total beginner, with no networking or computer skills, to learn what it would take to become a "Network Engineer"? My goal is to learn everything i need to know about networking with a focus on "Routing and Switching". (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Routing and Switching).

Hello dhacker! Nice to see you here. Best way to know how to get to your goal is to know where you're starting. Are you 100% new to IT in general, or do you have any prior experience with IT? Either way, we can help you get to your goal.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on April 09, 2018, 01:58:07 PM
Quote from: dhacker on April 07, 2018, 10:33:27 PM

Hello dhacker! Nice to see you here. Best way to know how to get to your goal is to know where you're starting. Are you 100% new to IT in general, or do you have any prior experience with IT? Either way, we can help you get to your goal.

Welcome Aboard,

Firstly learn math,  powers of 2 specifically, then move on on subnetting,  you cant go anywhere in this field without that knowledge.
when you have all that down, hexadecimal would be next.  Also, search around youtube, there's some good videos (except for 1) on networking.

networkgetsocial

CCNA CCNP certified with a little experience. Joined to get updated about networking. Anything that helps me improve my skills in this field would be great. I am working in a different field because of lack of jobs in my country. I want to become as good as others in this field. Anyone who can give me the right career path. What should I do in future and what certs are best after these which I have completed. Thanks for having me.

Cheers

icecream-guy

Quote from: networkgetsocial on August 07, 2018, 02:25:05 AM
CCNA CCNP certified with a little experience. Joined to get updated about networking. Anything that helps me improve my skills in this field would be great. I am working in a different field because of lack of jobs in my country. I want to become as good as others in this field. Anyone who can give me the right career path. What should I do in future and what certs are best after these which I have completed. Thanks for having me.

Cheers

Welcome here.

If we knew what you were doing now and what you wanted to do in the future, we could recommend a career path plan.
What country are we talking about?

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 07, 2018, 05:31:45 AM
Quote from: networkgetsocial on August 07, 2018, 02:25:05 AM

Cheers

Welcome here.

If we knew what you were doing now and what you wanted to do in the future, we could recommend a career path plan.
What country are we talking about?

Hello networkgetsocial, welcome to the forums.

To answer Ristau's question, the IP comes from South Asia, so salaam, yaar! :)

Typically, you'd be looking at starting in a call center and then, if you can develop your presentation skills, moving to customer-facing roles as onsite L2/L3 staff.