New Member Introductions Thread

Started by deanwebb, January 03, 2015, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

networkgetsocial

Thank you very much for the reply.
Wallaikum Assalam brother

I completed my routing and switching, I joined a call centre and worked there for few months everything was fine but that day when I saw devices that had Cisco written on it. I quit and now I am planning to persue this field. Here job scene is pretty messed up. When I joined this field I had a great love for setting up systems and VPN. I want to see myself working for a big company in next 5 years and also opening my own IT FIRM. But I am confused with all this technology popping in. Any career path would be great and what are the sources to get practice. I just want to master myself in this field and become so good that next time when I enter a company they at least listen to me.

Thank you
Cheers

icecream-guy

In this field, one has to adapt to technology, lots of reading and training, (self training if you can't afford classroom),  back in the day, when I broke into the field, there were no PC's,  In college I was learning to program using the latest Intel 8085 processor  (no that's not a typo), and mainframes were all the range.  Today I am a Network Security Engineer managing over 200 Cisco ASA firewalls.  I didn't get here by chance, I learned everything I could from everywhere, worked damn hard on my certifications, and read technology sites to keep with the the times that will always be changing,
places like SANS Internet Storm Center, Network World, Techmeme, and Forums like these were I learn and share from my years of experience.
So it really comes down to self motivation. You'll have to have that to be successful running your own IT firm.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

I started 23 years ago, supporting Windows 95.

I'm now in network security, where I'm trying to rip out any Windows 95 still out there...

Security is definitely a path that firms need lots of help with. If you have a like for that, it's worth exploring.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on August 09, 2018, 08:30:25 AM

I'm now in network security, where I'm trying to rip out any Windows 95 still out there...

Good Luck,  That Windows 95 is so embedded in POS gear, it's not funny, it's scary.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 09, 2018, 09:21:43 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on August 09, 2018, 08:30:25 AM

Good Luck,  That Windows 95 is so embedded in POS gear, it's not funny, it's scary.

Embedded Windows is the devil...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

myoung54

Hey there! First time member and first time joining a forum, so it's a day of firsts!  My name's Matt and I recently moved to Jacksonville, FL.  I have a CCNA as well as an Associates degree.  I joined the forum to hopefully pick some people's brains as I am trying to pursue a career as a Network Engineer.

deanwebb

Quote from: myoung54 on October 25, 2018, 01:20:16 PM
Hey there! First time member and first time joining a forum, so it's a day of firsts!  My name's Matt and I recently moved to Jacksonville, FL.  I have a CCNA as well as an Associates degree.  I joined the forum to hopefully pick some people's brains as I am trying to pursue a career as a Network Engineer.

Well hello and welcome aboard. Feel free to ask away, we're all ready to answer for you. :)

ITv3t

New member here. Recently transitioned from the Army after 8 years. I was combat arms. I was lucky enough to get a job supporting the DOD immediately upon getting
out. I currently have my SEC+. I am studying now and will be taking my NET+ in about two weeks. The first week of January I start my CCNA boot camp. Any suggestions about advancing in this industry, what to expect, what to know etc. Im here looking for professional advice, friends, mentors and career networking opportunities.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanwebb

Quote from: ITv3t on December 01, 2018, 08:07:41 PM
New member here. Recently transitioned from the Army after 8 years. I was combat arms. I was lucky enough to get a job supporting the DOD immediately upon getting
out. I currently have my SEC+. I am studying now and will be taking my NET+ in about two weeks. The first week of January I start my CCNA boot camp. Any suggestions about advancing in this industry, what to expect, what to know etc. Im here looking for professional advice, friends, mentors and career networking opportunities.

Thanks in advance!

Very glad to see you here, sir! CCNA is the right way to start. After that, it's a question of finding what you like doing best and getting into that specialization.

If you live in the greater DC area, you've got access to tons of DoD and other gov't work. NYC area is lots of financials. Dallas and Houston are more generalized, but lots of great opportunities there. Atlanta is another great diversified city.

ITv3t

Quote from: deanwebb on December 02, 2018, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: ITv3t on December 01, 2018, 08:07:41 PM

Thanks in advance!

Very glad to see you here, sir! CCNA is the right way to start. After that, it's a question of finding what you like doing best and getting into that specialization.

If you live in the greater DC area, you've got access to tons of DoD and other gov't work. NYC area is lots of financials. Dallas and Houston are more generalized, but lots of great opportunities there. Atlanta is another great diversified city.

Thanks for the welcome! I am currently in the DC area but I would like to get down back south (GA, NC, FL). The cost of living here is ridiculous and while I do make a good salary it's not really sustainable up here to live with a family at my current rate.

I was thinking about specializing in cloud computing. AWS, Azure or something else. I'm also about 15 credits shy of my bachelors degree in Cyber Security and Policy Management but have no experience in that area soo I'm putting the college on old after this semester ends next week and I am going to try and start stacking as many certs as I can courtesy of the GI bill. [emoji4]

deanwebb

Cloud is definitely a hot market right now, and security is in major demand, as well.

Sean0621

Hello all I am a brand new Network Admin for a small university and this has been a major career change for me as well. I have 3 years of experience in IT and I am looking forward to learning and growing in this field.

deanwebb

Quote from: Sean0621 on October 22, 2019, 01:59:27 PM
Hello all I am a brand new Network Admin for a small university and this has been a major career change for me as well. I have 3 years of experience in IT and I am looking forward to learning and growing in this field.

Hello Sean! We're all here to help, and we've all been in your shoes at one time or another. Feel free to ask questions and to offer help, that's what we're here for!

Hiroshisx

When will the issue be discussed in this regard?

deanwebb

Quote from: Hiroshisx on October 23, 2019, 02:29:51 AM
When will the issue be discussed in this regard?

Lines like that from IP addresses in Thailand make me almost convinced this is a spam account. Almost. :smug: